-   -   College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/297610-college-student-printer-centos-5-4-x86_64-a.html)

David McGuffey 12-19-2009 12:20 AM

College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?

Oldest son came back from college and wants a printer for his Dell
laptop. I built it with CentOS 5.3 x86_64 several months ago and will
upgrade it to 5.4

The Cannon printer he now has (bought with the laptop and Vista through
the university book store), doesn't seem to have linux drivers. I built
the machine with Vista and CentOS in dual-boot, so he could manage his
iTunes and use the printer under Vista. He does almost all his college
work under CentOS. Most of his papers are submitted electronically, but
occasionally he has to print one.

What would the community recommend? His needs are simple...mostly B&W
papers. On rare occasions he needs to print a paper with color
photos/graphs embedded. Not looking to spend a lot, just enough to
satisfy the requirement.

DaveM

Barry Brimer 12-19-2009 12:35 AM

College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?

> What would the community recommend? His needs are simple...mostly B&W
> papers. On rare occasions he needs to print a paper with color
> photos/graphs embedded. Not looking to spend a lot, just enough to
> satisfy the requirement.

Install cups-pdf and have pdfs created by any application that can print.
Save those somewhere that can be used by both (fat partition, usb stick,
send email to himself, etc) and then print in Vista. cups-pdf is
available from epel repo.