-   -   don't understand this command (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/297520-dont-understand-command.html)

adrian kok 12-18-2009 08:13 PM

don't understand this command

Hi

I mistype this shell#/rm a.tar.gz

it works but it won't confirm and the file is remove

why?

Thank you

Les Mikesell 12-18-2009 08:30 PM

adrian kok wrote:
> Hi
>
> I mistype this shell#/rm a.tar.gz
>
> it works but it won't confirm and the file is remove
>
> why?

rm never asks for confirmation by default. The reason you think it does
is that you normally execute an alias instead of the real command when
running as root. You must have become root in a way that did not load
the shell aliases.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Robert Nichols 12-19-2009 12:37 AM

adrian kok wrote:
> Hi
>
> I mistype this shell#/rm a.tar.gz
>
> it works but it won't confirm and the file is remove
>
> why?

And now you mistyped your mistyping. That would be a backslash
() not a forward slash (/). Escaping the command name with a
backslash bypasses the "alias rm='rm -i'" that is commonly set
up in root's .bashrc file.

Do NOT delete it.