Old 12-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Brian Mathis

Default Fetchmail question

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Davy Leon <davy@scu.escambray.com.cu> wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> This question is about fetchmail running on my Centos 5.3 box.
> I need to fetch my email from*different accounts living on remote servers
> and drop it on my local mailbox.
> The question is wich way is faster for fetchmail... using POP3 or IMAP?
>
> Thanks
> David

Not sure I could say which is faster, but POP3 is more simple and is
intended for what you are doing. IMAP is meant to have all messages
stored on the server and thus supports folders and other more advanced
features.

Based on what you are trying to accomplish, I would use POP3.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:31 PM
"Bo Lynch"

On Fri, December 18, 2009 10:29 am, Davy Leon wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> This question is about fetchmail running on my Centos 5.3 box.
> I need to fetch my email from different accounts living on remote servers
> and drop it on my local mailbox.
> The question is wich way is faster for fetchmail... using POP3 or IMAP?
>
> Thanks
>
> David
__________________

POP3 is the way to go for this situation. Its also a bit easier to use
than IMAP.

Bo Lynch

Old 12-18-2009, 02:39 PM
"Davy Leon"

Actually I'm using POP3, but just looking for improvements in speed. Plus,
fetchm,ail doesn't allow fetch more than one account at a time, and it's
kind slow in the secure handshaking. There is another package should I
"explore" using it to improve speed?

Thanks for your answer

David

Old 12-18-2009, 02:50 PM
"Scot P. Floess"

You can configure fetchmail to grab email from more than one server - I'm
doing that now at home. I have a workstation VM that runs fetchmail - one
to pull mail from my mailserver and the other from Road Runner - one
config file, 2 different remote email accounts - 1 local user account...

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Davy Leon wrote:

> Actually I'm using POP3, but just looking for improvements in speed. Plus,
> fetchm,ail doesn't allow fetch more than one account at a time, and it's
> kind slow in the secure handshaking. There is another package should I
> "explore" using it to improve speed?
>
> Thanks for your answer
>
> David

Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC 27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-890-8117 (Work)

Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate

Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros

Old 12-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Brian Mathis

[Top post moved to bottom]

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Davy Leon <davy@scu.escambray.com.cu> wrote:
> [...]

You could probably make different fetchmailrc files for each account
you have, and then use the "-f" option to read each separate file.
Then launch multiple fetchmail processes for each account. That would
allow you to fetch multiple accounts at once.

As for gaining additional speed, it sounds like you may be using the
wrong solution to accomplish something that you have not yet
explained. High speed is typically not the main goal of email in
general.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:55 PM
"Scot P. Floess"

You can definitely use the -f option to fetchmail. But the neat thing is,
you can supply multiple accounts - and multiple local users. For me I
supply 2 different pop servers and one local user - works great.

[...]

CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org

Old 12-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Brian Kirkman

Davy Leon wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> This question is about fetchmail running on my Centos 5.3 box.
> I need to fetch my email from different accounts living on remote
> servers and drop it on my local mailbox.
> The question is wich way is faster for fetchmail... using POP3 or IMAP?
>
> Thanks
>
> David

I know I'm avoiding the direct question, but I use getmail to retrieve
mail from a pop3 account and run it through procmail to distribute it to
local imap folders. I'm not sure how well it works for multiple
accounts, as I only use it for one account. It's been a while since
I've set it up, so I don't remember too many details. Perhaps check it
out if you feel you need an alternative to fetchmail, and if you need
any help, I can go back and see how it's set up.

-Brian

Old 12-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Brian Mathis

[Top post again moved to the bottom]

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Scot P. Floess <sfloess@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Brian Mathis wrote:
>> [Top post moved to bottom]

Scott,

You may notice that in the OPs 1st reply that the requirement is to
retrieve multiple accounts *at the same time* to increase speed.
AFAIK, if you use 1 file with fetchmail it will retrieve messages
sequentially from each account.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Stephen Harris

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:55:54AM -0500, Scot P. Floess wrote:

> You can definitely use the -f option to fetchmail. But the neat thing is,
> you can supply multiple accounts - and multiple local users. For me I
> supply 2 different pop servers and one local user - works great.

Yup, this is my (redacted) fetchmailrc file:

defaults
proto pop3
set invisible

poll server1 via mail.server1.net
user remote_user1 is localuser1 here
fetchall
password hahahahaha

poll server2 via pop.server2.com
user remote_user2 is localuser2 here
fetchall
password hahahahaha
ssl

poll server3 via mail.server3.net
user remote_user3 is localuser3 here
fetchall
password hahahahahaha

This polls from 3 different servers and stores the results in 3 different
mailboxes on my local machine.

% fetchmail
fetchmail: No mail for remote_user1 at server1
fetchmail: No mail for remote_user2 at server2
fetchmail: No mail for remote_user3 at server3

--

rgds
Stephen