Old 12-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Agile Aspect

Default NIS failover

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Jason Pyeron <jpyeron@pdinc.us> wrote:
> We just updated our configuratiosn to have multiple NIS servers, when we
> initiated a test of client failover, we were disapointed.
>
> It seemed that the only way to get a filaover was to /etc/init.d/ypbind restart.
>
> It behaves as indicated in
> http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=5084845 using
> ypbind-1.17.2-13 on Centos 4.5 / Linux xxxxxxxxxxxx 2.6.9-55.0.12.ELsmp #1 SMP
> Fri Nov 2 12:38:56 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4858192
>

> Any advice?

Are you broadcasting for the a NIS sever?

Probably should post your /etc/yp.conf file.

--
Enjoy global warming while it lasts.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Peter Serwe

After dealing with a couple of issues with OpenLDAP, I'd say it beats the piss out of NIS all day long.* NIS is ancient and decrepit.

Hard to believe, but certain very well known organizations refuse to get off NIS for critical and secure systems.

Peter

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:50 AM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:44:54PM -0700, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> Not one you want to hear: ditch NIS. It's known to have a *lot* of

> security holes. At the very least, NIS+. Better would be either RH

* * * *Out of curiousity, can you point me to writeups of known working

* * * *exploits against current yp-family versions on CentOS?

* * * *NIS+ is not, the last time I checked, available for Linux; if

* * * *my understanding is in error I would very much welcome

* * * *correction.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *John

--

We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once.

-- Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933), 30th president of the United States

Peter Serwe
http://truthlightway.blogspot.com/

Old 12-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Steve Thompson

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Peter Serwe wrote:

> After dealing with a couple of issues with OpenLDAP, I'd say it beats the
> piss out of NIS all day long. NIS is ancient and decrepit.

Agreed.

> Hard to believe, but certain very well known organizations refuse to get off
> NIS for critical and secure systems.

Astonishing.

-s

Old 12-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Drew

> Hard to believe, but certain very well known organizations refuse to get off
> NIS for critical and secure systems.

{{citation needed}}

:-)

--