Old 12-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Andrea Laack

Default gcc version

I have some researchers who want to run OpenMP for multiprocessor
machines, but minimum requirement for OpenMP is gcc 4.2.2.

Andrea

Andrea Laack
IS Manager
Functional Imaging Research Center
Medical College of Wisconsin
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226
414-456-4661

Old 12-17-2009, 05:07 PM
"nate"

Andrea Laack wrote:
> Why is redhat version 5.3 running gcc version 4.3 and centos 5.4 running
> gcc version 4.1.2? When will gcc be upgraded on centos?

Looks like two different versions of gcc are available

CentOS:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/os/SRPMS/gcc-4.1.2-46.el5.src.rpm
http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/os/SRPMS/gcc44-4.4.0-6.el5.src.rpm

And a 3rd version for RHEL
RHEL:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/redhat/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/gcc-4.1.2-46.el5_4.1.src.rpm
http://mirrors.kernel.org/redhat/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/gcc43-4.3.2-7.el5.src.rpm
http://mirrors.kernel.org/redhat/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/gcc44-4.4.0-6.el5.src.rpm

So perhaps just the gcc43 package is missing from CentOS, but you
can go to 4.4 if you want a newer version.

nate

Old 12-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Tony Schreiner

On Dec 17, 2009, at 1:07 PM, nate wrote:

> Andrea Laack wrote:
>> Why is redhat version 5.3 running gcc version 4.3 and centos 5.4
>> running
>> gcc version 4.1.2? When will gcc be upgraded on centos?
>
> Looks like two different versions of gcc are available
>
> CentOS:
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/os/SRPMS/gcc-4.1.2-46.el5.src.rpm
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/os/SRPMS/gcc44-4.4.0-6.el5.src.rpm
>
> And a 3rd version for RHEL
> RHEL:
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/redhat/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/gcc-4.1.2-46.el5_4.1.src.rpm
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/redhat/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/gcc43-4.3.2-7.el5.src.rpm
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/redhat/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/gcc44-4.4.0-6.el5.src.rpm
>
> So perhaps just the gcc43 package is missing from CentOS, but you
> can go to 4.4 if you want a newer version.

In any case, the gcc 4.1.2 on CentOS 5 supports openmp (use -
fopenmp). It might require the libgomp package.

Tony Schreiner

Old 12-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Laurent Wandrebeck

gcc 4.3 was a technology preview in 5.3. It became 4.4 in 5.4.
4.1.2 is the supported version in 5.x.

Laurent.