Old 12-17-2009, 03:01 PM

Default Urgent request

Help,

Our server at work is down. The video memory is out. Its an old IBM PC300PL, 6892-12U, running SCO.

If anyone happens to a stick of this type memory and would be willing to sell it, please let me know. Below are the requirements for the video memory:

The video memory interface is controlled by an S3 TRIO 3D graphics controller. The amount of SGRAM
shipped with the video subsystem is 4MB in the PC 300PL computers, and 2MB in the PC 300GL
computers.
The video memory module used in the PC 300PL (Types 6862 and 6892) is 2 MB 512K X32, with
100MHz SGRAM.
The video memory module used in the PC 300GL (Types 6275 and 6285) is 2 MB 256K X32, with
100MHz SGRAM. The PC 300GL (Types 6275 and 6285) can be upgraded from 2 MB SGRAM to 4 MB
SGRAM with a 2 MB SGRAM SODIMM. The SODIMM can be plugged into the SODIMM socket on the
system board.

I know, this machine should have been scraped a long time ago.

TIA

Old 12-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Larry Vaden

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:01 AM, <tdukes@sc.rr.com> wrote:
> Help,
>
> Our server at work is down. The video memory is out. *Its an old IBM PC300PL, 6892-12U, running SCO.
>
> If anyone happens to a stick of this type memory and would be willing to sell it, please let me know. *Below are the requirements for the video memory:

<http://www.google.com/products?q=PC+300PL+Types+6862+and+6892&aq=f>
or froogle it. I hope this is helpful.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:05 PM
John R Pierce

tdukes@sc.rr.com wrote:
> Help,
>
> Our server at work is down. The video memory is out. Its an old IBM PC300PL, 6892-12U, running SCO.
>
> If anyone happens to a stick of this type memory and would be willing to sell it, please let me know. Below are the requirements for the video memory:
>
> The video memory interface is controlled by an S3 TRIO 3D graphics controller. The amount of SGRAM
> shipped with the video subsystem is 4MB in the PC 300PL computers, and 2MB in the PC 300GL
> computers.
> The video memory module used in the PC 300PL (Types 6862 and 6892) is 2 MB 512K X32, with
> 100MHz SGRAM.
> The video memory module used in the PC 300GL (Types 6275 and 6285) is 2 MB 256K X32, with
> 100MHz SGRAM. The PC 300GL (Types 6275 and 6285) can be upgraded from 2 MB SGRAM to 4 MB
> SGRAM with a 2 MB SGRAM SODIMM. The SODIMM can be plugged into the SODIMM socket on the
> system board.

SGRAM SODIMMs were damn rare 10 years ago. you're not going to find
any today.

this is a server ? who -cares- about the video card, yank it out, and
stick something else in its place, like a old ATI Rage card. google is
telling me thats a pentium-II system, so it must be about 10 years
old. that or pull the disks out and get them working on another computer.

oh, its onboard video, ok, not going to replace it.

hey, amazing the power of the google.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=sgram+sodimm&cid=15533019313725492445&sa =title#p
<http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=sgram+sodimm&cid=15533019313725492445&sa =title#p>

Old 12-17-2009, 05:10 PM
"nate"

John R Pierce wrote:

> oh, its onboard video, ok, not going to replace it.

Often times installing a video card into a system with onboard
video will automatically disable the onboard video, or maybe
there is a jumper or dip switch if it's really old..

That's the route I would take just try another video card,
and configure your system to use a serial console so you don't
need a video card.

And then migrate it to a VM.

nate

Old 12-17-2009, 05:21 PM

> tdukes@sc.rr.com wrote:
>> Help,
>>
>> Our server at work is down. The video memory is out. Its an old IBM
>> PC300PL, 6892-12U, running SCO.
>>
>> If anyone happens to a stick of this type memory and would be willing to
>> sell it, please let me know. Below are the requirements for the video
>> memory:
<snip>
> this is a server ? who -cares- about the video card, yank it out, and
> stick something else in its place, like a old ATI Rage card. google is
> telling me thats a pentium-II system, so it must be about 10 years
> old. that or pull the disks out and get them working on another
> computer.
>
> oh, its onboard video, ok, not going to replace it.
<snip>
That's silly - you put in a video card, and configure the system to use that.

mark

Old 12-17-2009, 05:29 PM

---- m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> > tdukes@sc.rr.com wrote:
> >> Help,
> >>
> >> Our server at work is down. The video memory is out. Its an old IBM
> >> PC300PL, 6892-12U, running SCO.
> >>
> >> If anyone happens to a stick of this type memory and would be willing to
> >> sell it, please let me know. Below are the requirements for the video
> >> memory:
> <snip>
> > this is a server ? who -cares- about the video card, yank it out, and
> > stick something else in its place, like a old ATI Rage card. google is
> > telling me thats a pentium-II system, so it must be about 10 years
> > old. that or pull the disks out and get them working on another
> > computer.
> >
> > oh, its onboard video, ok, not going to replace it.
> <snip>
> That's silly - you put in a video card, and configure the system to use that.
>
> mark

We have been searching the internet since Tuesday.

We have already tried installing a video card, that didn't work. The beeps at start up indicate to check the video ram. It will boot and run if we put it in another pc.

The server is running c-sytems software on a sco operating system. They tell us we can't pull the hard drive and move it to another pc - something about a bug causing it to lose data.

I've been running linux systems since the late 80's. I have never heard of this but then, I have never run a sco system either.

Any help or suggestions?

TIA

Old 12-17-2009, 05:35 PM
James Bensley

> The server is running c-sytems software on a sco operating system. *They tell us we can't pull the hard drive and move it to another pc - something about a bug causing it to lose data.

Pull out the drives, mirror them and then put them back, put the
mirroed drives in a spare desktop pc and hay presto?

James

Stephen Leacock - "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue
that I shall some day die, which is not so." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/stephen_leacock.html

Old 12-17-2009, 06:00 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 06:35:18PM +0000, James Bensley wrote:
> > The server is running c-sytems software on a sco operating system. *They tell us we can't pull the hard drive and move it to another pc - something about a bug causing it to lose data.
>
> Pull out the drives, mirror them and then put them back, put the
> mirroed drives in a spare desktop pc and hay presto?

That's not going to work with a SCO kernel unless the new PC
is identical from a hardware standpoint; SCO kernels are
monolithic and have device drivers compiled and linked into
the kernel.

If you have install media you can likely install SCO on a
different PC, and then copy the rest of the old system over,
not touching any of the kernel bits when you do so. This
will likely have a fair chance of success.

John

--
Only puny secrets need protection.
Big discoveries are protected by public incredulity.

-- Marshall McLuhan

Old 12-17-2009, 06:03 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 13:29 -0500, tdukes@sc.rr.com wrote:
> ---- m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> <snip>

> We have been searching the internet since Tuesday.
>
> We have already tried installing a video card, that didn't work. The beeps at start up indicate to check the video ram. It will boot and run if we put it in another pc.
>
> The server is running c-sytems software on a sco operating system. They tell us we can't pull the hard drive and move it to another pc - something about a bug causing it to lose data.
>
> I've been running linux systems since the late 80's. I have never heard of this but then, I have never run a sco system either.
>
> Any help or suggestions?

Some BIOS allow you to disable on-board video. Can you get to BIOS and
see? If you can that might get you going with another video card added
to the system.

> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 12-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Les Mikesell

John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 06:35:18PM +0000, James Bensley wrote:
>>> The server is running c-sytems software on a sco operating system. They tell us we can't pull the hard drive and move it to another pc - something about a bug causing it to lose data.
>> Pull out the drives, mirror them and then put them back, put the
>> mirroed drives in a spare desktop pc and hay presto?
>
> That's not going to work with a SCO kernel unless the new PC
> is identical from a hardware standpoint; SCO kernels are
> monolithic and have device drivers compiled and linked into
> the kernel.
>
> If you have install media you can likely install SCO on a
> different PC, and then copy the rest of the old system over,
> not touching any of the kernel bits when you do so. This
> will likely have a fair chance of success.

Better yet, try this under VMware so if you get it to work you won't
have to go through this again and you won't have to dedicate a box to
running old cruft.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com