Old 12-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Peter Serwe

Default Image conversion with ImageMagick doesn't work on CentOS, but it works fine on Debian Lenny.

888x888 jpeg to 420x420 150x150, 100x100, and 50x50, output image format is jpeg.

I didn't notice the problem until it was hosted on a certain commercial storefront provider, under apache, I saw no problem.

I'm doing with a pair of loops, so my actual convert line looks like:

*** *** *** *** *** /usr/bin/convert -resize ${size}x${size} $image $OUTDIR/$image ***
Peter

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 15:16 -0800, Peter Serwe wrote:

> I recently came across the need to convert jpg images with IM, did a

> standard install of "yum -y install ImageMagick" and found that

> images converted with CentOS's base port of IM would actually corrupt

> the images, yet using the same (albiet different version, different

> distro) software

> didn't corrupt the images at all.

I use convert and mogrify on a reasonably regular basis for various

tasks and haven't noticed any problems here.

Is there anything "special" about your images? *You are converting them

from jpg to.. what format?

Peter Serwe
http://truthlightway.blogspot.com/

Old 12-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Robert Heller

> I recently came across the need to convert jpg images with IM, did a
> standard install of "yum -y install ImageMagick" and found that
> images converted with CentOS's base port of IM would actually corrupt the
> images, yet using the same (albiet different version, different distro)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^?
> software
> didn't corrupt the images at all.
>
> By corrupted, I mean, the bottom portion of the image under *some*
> webservers looked completely wrong, and had strange checkering of the image
> in stripes across the bottom.
>
> At the time I had this problem, I took the issue to IM's forum, to no
> avail. I ended up just using it on a Debian machine instead.

Which version of CentOS? I use convert all of the time with CentOS 4.8,
using ImageMagick 6.0.7.1-20.el4 without any problems:

sauron.deepsoft.com% rpm -q ImageMagick
ImageMagick-6.0.7.1-20.el4

*Exactly* which version of CentOS, ImageMagick? i386 or x86_64?

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Old 12-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Peter Serwe

I'd say that was true if the mystery server didn't serve images converted under Lenny just fine.

In fact, it was argued during the issue that it wasn't our fault, that it works under a standard web server just fine.

The fact remains, the Debian port of IM worked, the CentOS one didn't.* I've already worked around the issue,
I just do my conversions on Debian, being that I'm not really a Debian fanboy, I'm not terribly thrilled about maintaining

a Debian install around, and I figured I'd ask.

The provider is coresense.* For better or for worse.* They do a lot of things stupidly, but it works, and for lack of a
better option to suggest for a cart with a back-end that handles the things they do, it stays.

Peter

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 15:57 -0800, Peter Serwe wrote:

> I didn't notice the problem until it was hosted on a certain

> commercial storefront provider, under apache, I saw no problem.

That suggests a problem with the way your "mystery software" is serving

the image rather than a problem with the image. *Which points to a bug

in the "mystery software".

Old 12-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Peter Serwe

CentOS 5.2,

[root@pythagoras ~]# rpm -q ImageMagick
ImageMagick-6.2.8.0-4.el5_1.1

--

Robert Heller * * * * * * -- 978-544-6933

Deepwoods Software * * * *-- Download the Model Railroad System

http://www.deepsoft.com/ *-- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows

Old 12-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Peter Serwe

I did actually, try to compile IM from a tarball.* Nailed all the dependencies except one or two, and ended up giving up for th easier, softer way.

I didn't try compiling the SRPM.* There is a thought in that.

Peter