Old 12-16-2009, 06:44 PM
earl ramirez

Default OT: Google Earth - How to uninstall, before installing newest version?

The easiest way to do this is to navigate to /opt/google-earth
then execute the following command from the command line

./uninstall

[root@commandcenter google-earth]# ./uninstall
Product: Google Earth

Installed in /opt/google-earth
Uninstalling desktop menu entries...
Uninstalling mimetypes...
Google Earth has been successfully uninstalled.

Desktop is CentOS 5.4 (32 bit). *I have Google Earth version

4.2.205.5730 (13NOV2007 build date) installed. I have checkinstall

(spelling?) installed, but am not sure if that was installed before or

after Google Earth was installed. I have the Google Repository

installed, but apparently Google Earth cannot be updated via yum and

probably it was not installed via yum.

Question: What is the best way for me to uninstall this version of

Google Earth, completely, before I install the newest version?

(This also applies to removing Skype, which I am certain was not

installed via yum, before I install the static version of Skype, that

was recently recommended on the list).

TIA and Happy Holidays! * * *Lanny

Magazine subscriptions Largest discount Credit/Debit Card Check PayPal

http://www.lowcostmagazines.com/

Evolution Of Linux OS "The Most Powerful Operating System In The World" *

Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Lanny Marcus

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 2:44 PM, earl ramirez <earlaramirez@gmail.com> wrote:
> The easiest way to do this is to navigate to /opt/google-earth
> then execute the following command from the command line
>
> ./uninstall
>

> [root@commandcenter google-earth]# ./uninstall
> Product: Google Earth
> Installed in /opt/google-earth
> Uninstalling desktop menu entries...
> Uninstalling mimetypes...
> Google Earth has been successfully uninstalled.

Earl: Thank you! I will try that. Lanny

Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Lanny Marcus

Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Lanny Marcus

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Robert <kerplop@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> Desktop is CentOS 5.4 (32 bit). *I have Google Earth version
>> 4.2.205.5730 (13NOV2007 build date) installed. I have checkinstall
> Lanny, if you don't have an /opt/google-earth/uninstall, welcome to the
> club.
> There seems to be a rash of that going around. *The answer might be at
> http://earth.google.com/support/bin/search.py?hl=en&forum=1&query=uninstall+more%3Afor um
>
> I've never tried Skype.

Robert: I will try .uninstall and I hope it is there for me to use.
Thanks! I am one of those who hasn't gotten audio out of the
microphone, using the Skype Beta on Linux, but others have it working
properly. Recently, there was a thread, about a Static (?) version of
Skype, which seems to work well, so after I get the new version of
Google Earth installed (Norad tracks Santa with Google Earth:
http://www.noradsanta.org/en/track3d.html) I am going to uninstall the
Skype Beta I now have and install the Static version of Skype. I have
used Skype on M$ Windows and the call quality is usually excellent.
Also, for video chat. Calls from Skype to Skype are free. I started
to reply to your answer and clicked wrong and sent an extra message
to the list. Sorry! Lanny

Old 12-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Lanny Marcus

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 2:44 PM, earl ramirez <earlaramirez@gmail.com> wrote:
> The easiest way to do this is to navigate to /opt/google-earth
> then execute the following command from the command line
>
> ./uninstall
>
> [root@commandcenter google-earth]# ./uninstall
> Product: Google Earth
> Installed in /opt/google-earth
> Uninstalling desktop menu entries...
> Uninstalling mimetypes...
> Google Earth has been successfully uninstalled.

Earl: Cool. Mine was in usr/local/ and I got rid of most of it with
the /.uninstall command. I will go back to that directory and see if
I can find the install directory and remove it. Thanks again! Lanny

[root@dell2400 google-earth]# ./uninstall
Product: Google Earth
Installed in /usr/local/google-earth
Uninstalling desktop menu entries...
Uninstalling mimetypes...
Could not remove install directory: Directory not empty
Google Earth has been successfully uninstalled.
[root@dell2400 google-earth]#

Old 12-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Lanny Marcus

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 2:44 PM, earl ramirez <earlaramirez@gmail.com> wrote:
> The easiest way to do this is to navigate to /opt/google-earth
> then execute the following command from the command line
>
> ./uninstall

I uninstalled the old version of Google Earth, completely, and then,
logged into my normal user account, I downloaded the .bin file from
google. Then, I logged out and logged in as root and installed the new
version of Google Earth.

Now, I remember seeing 1 or 2 lines, regarding the Desktop (?) ,
which I did not pay careful attention to at the time.... I should
have written down those lines.... I cannot launch the new version
of Google Earth, while logged in as root or in my normal user account,
from the menu or from the desktop icon. Later, I will try to check
this out on the Google web site. Probably a permission problem or the
icon and menu are not pointing to the proper location ? The command
from the desktop icon is /opt/google-earth/googleearth % f