Old 12-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Thomas Harold

Default LVM, usb drives, Active Directory

On 12/16/2009 9:41 AM, William Warren wrote:
> On 12/16/2009 12:10 AM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> Still going to need 10TB of backups. And i can guarantee you the
> chances of having a URE during rebuild are almost certain with this
> setup so a backup is going to be crucial. Sounds like a nightmare even
> inside a supermicro or similar box.

Yah, RAID-6 at a minimum, I wouldn't depend on RAID-5, even with a
hot-spare. So to get 10TB, you'd need 13 drives (10 data, 2 parity, 1
hot-spare).

And make sure you buy enterprise level SATA disks (the 1TB models are
about $150 right now).

(You can fit 15 3.5" drives into a SuperMicro 4U 942i 760W case with the
5:3 SATA mobile racks. The 942i is also a very quiet case due to using
120mm fans inside.)

Old 12-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Keith Keller

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:57:38AM -0500, Thomas Harold wrote:

> Yah, RAID-6 at a minimum, I wouldn't depend on RAID-5, even with a
> hot-spare. So to get 10TB, you'd need 13 drives (10 data, 2 parity, 1
> hot-spare).

2TB drives are available for ~$300-$400 each. Eight 2TB disks would
provide 10TB of RAID6 storage with a hot spare, which could all fit in a
2U enclosure or a smaller desktop case than a 13 or 16 bay case.

--keith

--
kkeller@speakeasy.net