Old 12-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Jussi Hirvi

Default Old hd, new machine

What should I do to make an existing CentOS (5.4) disc boot up on a new
computer?

I just made on CentOS 5.3 installation on that machine, so I know the
hardware is compatible.

Would it be enough to boot with a DVD in rescue mode, or boot with
another hd, and install grub?

- Jussi

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland

Old 12-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Eero Volotinen

> Would it be enough to boot with a DVD in rescue mode, or boot with
> another hd, and install grub?

Yes.

--
Eero

Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 AM
"Michel van Deventer"

Hi,

> What should I do to make an existing CentOS (5.4) disc boot up on a new
> computer?
>
> I just made on CentOS 5.3 installation on that machine, so I know the
> hardware is compatible.
>
> Would it be enough to boot with a DVD in rescue mode, or boot with
> another hd, and install grub?
You might try to boot with the old hd right away. I did almost the same
last weekend. Installed a new system for a friend on a virtual machine
(using qemu) using a new disk and put the disk in his (old) machine (the
machine wasn't available to me at the time of install) after installation.

If it doesn't boot (normally because the disk numbering is different) you
can use a rescue DVD and grub to fix things (probably grub-install and
maybe /etc/fstab for the /boot filesystem).
Is the old hd using LVM and/or labels for filesystems ?

Regards,

Michel

Old 12-16-2009, 07:21 AM
cornel panceac

Hi,

--
Linux counter #213090

Old 12-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Jussi Hirvi

On 16.12.2009 10:18, Michel van Deventer wrote:
> If it doesn't boot (normally because the disk numbering is different) you
> can use a rescue DVD and grub to fix things (probably grub-install and
> maybe /etc/fstab for the /boot filesystem).
> Is the old hd using LVM and/or labels for filesystems ?

No. The old hd has two ext3 partitions (/boot and /), both part of a md
device (raid1). (Plus there is a swap partition.)

I will try grub-install shortly. Thanks for the tips so far.

- Jussi

Old 12-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Jussi Hirvi

I ran into trouble and decided to go another way.

The rescue CD did not find CentOS installations, most probably because
the ext3 partitions were hidden behind a md layer.

I could have stopped the raid devices first, then I would probably have
been able to use the rescue CD and rebuild initrd & install grub.

However, as I already have one disc up (with a fresh CentOS
installation), I decided to rescue my data from the "old disc" (the
non-booting one) to this "new disc". That way I will get a working system.

- Jussi

Old 12-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Eero Volotinen

Well, You can use rescue image from www.sysresccd.org

--
Eero

Old 12-16-2009, 09:16 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

Behalf
>Of Jussi Hirvi
>Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:07 AM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: [CentOS] Old hd, new machine
>
>What should I do to make an existing CentOS (5.4) disc boot up on a new
>computer?
>[...]
>Would it be enough to boot with a DVD in rescue mode, or boot with
>another hd, and install grub?

For me it has worked to just install the old hd in the new machine and boot
it up. Kudzo takes care of the rest.

HTH.
--
/Sorin

Old 12-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Jussi Hirvi

On 16.12.2009 12:16, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> For me it has worked to just install the old hd in the new machine and boot
> it up. Kudzo takes care of the rest.

Then you have been lucky. :-) For me, the startup stopped already before
the CentOS splash screen. I guess something was wrong with the initrd.

- Jussi

Old 12-16-2009, 10:22 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

Maybe, I always use a legacy custom setup for the partitions with a /boot,
swap, / and a /home, install and set it up as I want it, and then clone and
deploy the image. Has worked so far.

Things are simpler that way IMO, even if I maybe miss some advantages with
LVM-groups and whatnot.

Anyway, I saw afterwards you were using a md0-device, ie raid. That may
complicate things. 8-}
--
/Sorin