Old 12-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Scott Ehrlich

Default LVM, usb drives, Active Directory

I have a client with a handful of USB drives connected to a CentOS
box. I am charged with binding the USB drives together into a single
LVM for a cheap storage data pool (10 x 1 TB usb drives = 10 TB cheap
storage in a single mount point).

The next fun piece is how to incorporate that storage space into an
existing Active Directory structure to apply AD acls for limited
access.

I'd rather not use Samba, as that is its own infrastructure and
maintains its own credentials database.

What are my best options?

Thanks.

Scott

Old 12-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Toby Bluhm

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I have a client with a handful of USB drives connected to a CentOS
> box. I am charged with binding the USB drives together into a single
> LVM for a cheap storage data pool (10 x 1 TB usb drives = 10 TB cheap
> storage in a single mount point).
>
> The next fun piece is how to incorporate that storage space into an
> existing Active Directory structure to apply AD acls for limited
> access.
>
> I'd rather not use Samba, as that is its own infrastructure and
> maintains its own credentials database.
>
> What are my best options?

Why would you use USB disks? Even if you could put up with
not-so-stellar speed, the tangle of cables & powerpacks would be messy
and prone to accidental disconnect. On top of that, using only LVM to
glue it all together would really exacerbate the disconnect problem. A
single disk failure could bring the entire volume down with no recourse
but to restore from backup.

That's another thing - is this data valuable? If so, you need to have an
idea for backups.

Ditch the crazy USB scheme and get better hardware - raid/hotswap. And a
10 drive, 10TB raid5 is also going to be a headache. There's been
several recent discussions here about such matters - large volume
filesystems, SW raid vs HW raid, raid types, LVM, etc. Look through the
archives.

--
tkb

Old 12-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Toby Bluhm

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I have a client with a handful of USB drives connected to a CentOS
> box. I am charged with binding the USB drives together into a single
> LVM for a cheap storage data pool (10 x 1 TB usb drives = 10 TB cheap
> storage in a single mount point).
>
> The next fun piece is how to incorporate that storage space into an
> existing Active Directory structure to apply AD acls for limited
> access.
>
> I'd rather not use Samba, as that is its own infrastructure and
> maintains its own credentials database.

The answer to your AD question is Samba. It integrates into AD perfectly
well. Search the Centos archives. samba.org has extensive info on the
subject.

--
tkb

Old 12-15-2009, 11:39 PM
"nate"

Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> What are my best options?

The mere thought of doing what your tasked with doing makes me
want to drink a lot of hard alcohol.

As another poster noted get a more proper storage system. If it
were me I would just hook the drives to one of the existing
windows servers and use dynamic partitions to do the same
thing, when a disk fails and they lose some/most/all of their
data at least they won't be able to point the finger at linux

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363785(VS.85).aspx

There are plenty of low cost off the shelf NAS solutions, I
don't have experience with any of them personally, but would
absolutely positively never implement what your being tasked
with. That client would not be worth keeping as they are
obviously a @#$ idiot.

nate

Old 12-16-2009, 02:26 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>> What are my best options?
>
>The mere thought of doing what your tasked with doing makes me
>want to drink a lot of hard alcohol.

I'll second that but say I want some alcohol anyway
Keep in mind that most external usb enclosures don't provide adequate cooling
for devices that get written to any more aggressively than some user and his pics
collection.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 AM
Kristopher Kane

> The mere thought of doing what your tasked with doing makes me
> want to drink a lot of hard alcohol.

HA!

This thread really made my day.

I liken this to applying duct tape to the wings of a 747.

I would look out the window and say, "Neat!"

nate: that quote is going on my wall at work.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:10 AM
Eero Volotinen

On 12/15/09 2:48 PM, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I have a client with a handful of USB drives connected to a CentOS
> box. I am charged with binding the USB drives together into a single
> LVM for a cheap storage data pool (10 x 1 TB usb drives = 10 TB cheap
> storage in a single mount point).

Err.. buy computer from supermicro and load it with 10 sata disks.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/2U/?chs=213

--
Eero

Old 12-16-2009, 04:28 AM
Keith Keller

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 11:30:13PM -0500, Kristopher Kane wrote:

> I liken this to applying duct tape to the wings of a 747.
>
> I would look out the window and say, "Neat!"

...and then change your ticket as fast as humanly possible.

--keith

--
kkeller@speakeasy.net

Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Nicholas

Scott,

Samba is proven to work with AD, whats the other alternative? You can
always tie Samba to the centralised credentials.

> Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>
>> I'd rather not use Samba, as that is its own infrastructure and
>> maintains its own credentials database.

--
Nicholas A. Suppiah

believed to be clean.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Steve Thompson

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> I have a client with a handful of USB drives connected to a CentOS
> box. I am charged with binding the USB drives together into a single
> LVM for a cheap storage data pool (10 x 1 TB usb drives = 10 TB cheap
> storage in a single mount point).

I tried doing this for fun once upon a time, using 6 1TB drives. I can
save you a lot of grief by suggesting that you don't think about this any
further. Boy is it slow. And extremely unreliable. And slow. Don't even do
it for backups. Did I say it was slow?

Steve