-   -   Samba, ADS & Winbind Separator on CentOS 5.4 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/295145-samba-ads-winbind-separator-centos-5-4-a.html)

Guy Boisvert 12-14-2009 03:11 PM

Samba, ADS & Winbind Separator on CentOS 5.4

Hi!

I have a little problem with Samba. I have an ADS integrated CentOS
5.4 server. I had frequent access problem when M$ users create
directories and files. So i thought to force users' persmissions by way
of the "force user" parameter in smb.conf.

First problem is that the forced users i want to apply are ADS users
and named like "MYDOMAIN#Joe" in passwd file. When i use this name in
smb.conf, i get this error when i run testparm: "ERROR: the 'winbind
separator' parameter must be a single character.", even if i used
"winbind separator =#". If i use "winbind separator =" and name my
users like "MYDOMAINJoe" in smb.conf, i have no error but users cannot
access the share.

Actually, i know that "#" is sometimes used for comments on the
config file and "" is sometimes used to escape characters. Now, what
should i do to fix the problem? Change Winbind config to use another
character? Use some kind of escaped character in smb.conf? I'm a
little lost!

Thanks!

Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.

"Joseph L. Casale" 12-14-2009 05:07 PM

Samba, ADS & Winbind Separator on CentOS 5.4

> Actually, i know that "#" is sometimes used for comments on the config file and "" is sometimes used to escape characters. Now, what should i do to fix the problem? >Change Winbind config to use another character? Use some kind of escaped character in smb.conf? I'm a little lost!

An often discussed issue, I use a '+' here...

/etc/samba/smb.conf
winbind separator = +

"JS" 12-14-2009 06:08 PM

Samba, ADS & Winbind Separator on CentOS 5.4

-------
Yes I've always used "+" also here on mine.

John