Old 12-14-2009, 11:54 AM

Default Device enumeration during kickstart

By default, a kickstart installation will spread the configured partitions
over all disks that are found, and the only way around that is to use
--ondisk or ignoredisk. But I was wondering how reliable this method is.
E.g. if there are four SATA ports on the system board, can I blindly
assume that port one will always correspond to sda, port two to sdb,
and so on? Can I assume that a second disk added to a one-disk system
will always show up as sdb, and sda will remain sda?

Old 12-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Rob Kampen

lhecking@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

By default, a kickstart installation will spread the configured partitions
over all disks that are found, and the only way around that is to use
--ondisk or ignoredisk. But I was wondering how reliable this method is.
E.g. if there are four SATA ports on the system board, can I blindly
assume that port one will always correspond to sda, port two to sdb,
and so on? Can I assume that a second disk added to a one-disk system
will always show up as sdb, and sda will remain sda?

There are many recorded emails about folk struggling to get reliable
hardware to device registration, so far I have not seen a foolproof
method.
Others may be able to offer actual examples that work, but they seem to
only work on specific hardware. YMMV