Old 12-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Default Future of MySQL

I thought I post this link
http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/12/help-saving-mysql.html
in case anyone isn't aware of this yet and wants to email the EC.

Kai

--
Kai Schtzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 12-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Bill Campbell

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>I thought I post this link
>http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/12/help-saving-mysql.html
>in case anyone isn't aware of this yet and wants to email the EC.

Another good reason to use postgresql :-).

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

Old 12-13-2009, 05:16 PM
"Scot P. Floess"

+1

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009, Bill Campbell wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>> I thought I post this link
>> http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/12/help-saving-mysql.html
>> in case anyone isn't aware of this yet and wants to email the EC.
>
> Another good reason to use postgresql :-).
>
> Bill
> --
> INTERNET: bill@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
> Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
> Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792
>
> UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
> would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale
Louisburg, NC 27549

252-478-8087 (Home)
919-890-8117 (Work)

Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate

Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros

Old 12-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Alan McKay

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:
> I thought I post this link
> http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/12/help-saving-mysql.html
> in case anyone isn't aware of this yet and wants to email the EC.

Personally I'd like to see it go down so more people will start
supporting PostgreSQL - which is a far better database anyway

Old 12-14-2009, 04:24 AM
"Neil Aggarwal"

> Personally I'd like to see it go down so more people will start
> supporting PostgreSQL - which is a far better database anyway

Does PostgreSQL have non-transactional tables like MySQL?
I am not trying to start a holy war, just asking since I
do not know.

Thanks,
Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net
CentOS 5.4 VPS with unmetered bandwidth only $25/month!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 AM
Agile Aspect

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Neil Aggarwal <neil@jammconsulting.com> wrote:
>> Personally I'd like to see it go down so more people will start
>> supporting PostgreSQL - which is a far better database anyway
>
> Does PostgreSQL have non-transactional tables like MySQL?
> I am not trying to start a holy war, just asking since I
> do not know.

It does have transactional DDL. But you should go to PostgreSQL web
site and search for transactional DDL since different vendors
implement this differently. I believe they compare the different
vendors too.

--
Enjoy global warming while it lasts.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Jake Shipton

On 13/12/09 16:31, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> I thought I post this link
> http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/12/help-saving-mysql.html
> in case anyone isn't aware of this yet and wants to email the EC.
>

> Kai

Sent my email off, I've used MySQL for a long time, and would hate to
see MySQL die :-(

Thanks :-)

--
Jake

Old 12-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Les Mikesell

Neil Aggarwal wrote:
>> Personally I'd like to see it go down so more people will start
>> supporting PostgreSQL - which is a far better database anyway
>
> Does PostgreSQL have non-transactional tables like MySQL?
> I am not trying to start a holy war, just asking since I
> do not know.

Postgresql uses MVCC (multi-verson concurrency control) so tables aren't locked
for transactions but each operation only sees previously committed updates.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/mvcc-intro.html

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com