-   -   How do I link to custom libs without affecting system libs (LD_LIBRARY_PATH) (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/294384-how-do-i-link-custom-libs-without-affecting-system-libs-ld_library_path.html)

Chris Morley 12-12-2009 08:46 PM

How do I link to custom libs without affecting system libs (LD_LIBRARY_PATH)

Hi, i am getting an issue with rtorrent that is related to my curl libaries.

In summary it requires a later curl libary than CentOS 5.4 uses for its system files (CentOS uses curl libs version 7.15.5, rtorrent requires 7.19.2 or greater).

To get around this I would like to download the latest curl version and compile and link to rtorrent without affecting system files.

How can i statically link the latest Curl libs to my rtorrent build? I belive its to do with LD_LIBRARY_PATH but i am not sure howto proceed:

wget http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.19.7.tar.gz
cd curl-7.19.7./configuremakemake install

The above make install would overwrite or upgrade the existing curl, worried about breaking existing system!

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

John R Pierce 12-12-2009 09:13 PM

Chris Morley wrote:
> Hi, i am getting an issue with rtorrent that is related to my curl libaries.
>
> In summary it requires a later curl libary than CentOS 5.4 uses for its system files (CentOS uses curl libs version 7.15.5, rtorrent requires 7.19.2 or greater).
>
> To get around this I would like to download the latest curl version and compile and link to rtorrent without affecting system files.
>
> How can i statically link the latest Curl libs to my rtorrent build? I belive its to do with LD_LIBRARY_PATH but i am not sure howto proceed:
>
> wget http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.19.7.tar.gz
> cd curl-7.19.7./configuremakemake install
>
> The above make install would overwrite or upgrade the existing curl, worried about breaking existing system!

no, static linking has NOTHING to do with LD_LIBRARY_PATH. actually,
you don't even need a static link here, just link it against the
alternate libcurl.so that you put in an alternate path. for instance,
build your new curl library to live somewhere like /usr/locall/curl/lib,
then specify this as a -L argument to the link of your rtorrent, which
likely is built to install to /usr/local/bin or such.

depending on how rtorrent's build works, this could be a simple argument
to the ../configure, like --path-libcurl=/usr/local/curl/lib