FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-12-2009, 07:56 PM
David McGuffey
 
Default yum quit working in CentOS 5.4 x86_64

Have been running 5.4 x86_64 for a couple of months now. Every once in
a while, I would get a notice that updates were available.

It appears that about 3 weeks ago, yum stopped notifying me of updates.
Over that time, I've manually done a 'yum update' from a command line,
with an output that there are no updates.

I know this cannot be true, because I watch the 'centOS-announce Digest'
messages come through and see that there are updates for my
installation.

I tried 'yum clean all' followed by another 'yum update' and still no
updates are listed as available.

I have the priorities plugin installed and here is the output I get:

[root@desk ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* addons: ftp.lug.udel.edu
* base: mirror.rackspace.com
* centosplus: mirrors.netdna.com
* extras: ftp.lug.udel.edu
* rpmforge: fr2.rpmfind.net
* updates: mirrors.adams.net
598 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update
[root@desk ~]#

Here is the contents of CentOS-Base.repo:

[root@desk yum.repos.d]# cat CentOS-Base.repo
# CentOS-Base.repo
#
# The mirror system uses the connecting IP address of the client and the
# update status of each mirror to pick mirrors that are updated to and
# geographically close to the client. You should use this for CentOS
updates
# unless you are manually picking other mirrors.
#
# If the mirrorlist= does not work for you, as a fall back you can try
the
# remarked out baseurl= line instead.
#
#

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=
$basearch&repo=os
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
priority=1

#released updates
[updates]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=
$basearch&repo=updates
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
priority=1

#packages used/produced in the build but not released
[addons]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Addons
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=
$basearch&repo=addons
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/addons/$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
priority=1

#additional packages that may be useful
[extras]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Extras
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=
$basearch&repo=extras
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/extras/$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
priority=1

#additional packages that extend functionality of existing packages
[centosplus]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Plus
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=
$basearch&repo=centosplus
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/centosplus/$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
priority=2

#contrib - packages by Centos Users
[contrib]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Contrib
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=
$basearch&repo=contrib
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/contrib/$basearch/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
priority=2
[root@desk yum.repos.d]#

What is wrong?

DaveM


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-14-2009, 10:45 AM
John Doe
 
Default yum quit working in CentOS 5.4 x86_64

From: David McGuffey <davidmcguffey@verizon.net>
> Have been running 5.4 x86_64 for a couple of months now. Every once in
> a while, I would get a notice that updates were available.
> It appears that about 3 weeks ago, yum stopped notifying me of updates.
> Over that time, I've manually done a 'yum update' from a command line,
> with an output that there are no updates.
> I know this cannot be true, because I watch the 'centOS-announce Digest'
> messages come through and see that there are updates for my
> installation.

Did you check that those digest takled about a Centos 5 version of an application specificaly installed on your server...?
The latests updates I have in my local repository are from November the 28th...
kdelibs-devel-3.5.4-25.el5.centos.1.x86_64.rpm
kdelibs-devel-3.5.4-25.el5.centos.1.i386.rpm
kdelibs-3.5.4-25.el5.centos.1.x86_64.rpm
kdelibs-3.5.4-25.el5.centos.1.i386.rpm
kdelibs-apidocs-3.5.4-25.el5.centos.1.x86_64.rpm
kexec-tools-1.102pre-77.el5.3.x86_64.rpm
system-config-lvm-1.1.5-1.0.el5_4.1.noarch.rpm
openswan-doc-2.6.21-5.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm
openswan-2.6.21-5.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm
xterm-215-8.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm
metacity-2.16.0-12.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm
metacity-2.16.0-12.el5_4.1.i386.rpm

JD



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-14-2009, 11:31 PM
David McGuffey
 
Default yum quit working in CentOS 5.4 x86_64

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 03:45 -0800, John Doe wrote:
> From: David McGuffey <davidmcguffey@verizon.net>
> > Have been running 5.4 x86_64 for a couple of months now. Every once in
> > a while, I would get a notice that updates were available.
> > It appears that about 3 weeks ago, yum stopped notifying me of updates.
> > Over that time, I've manually done a 'yum update' from a command line,
> > with an output that there are no updates.
> > I know this cannot be true, because I watch the 'centOS-announce Digest'
> > messages come through and see that there are updates for my
> > installation.
>
> Did you check that those digest takled about a Centos 5 version of an application specificaly installed on your server...?
> The latests updates I have in my local repository are from November the 28th...
> kdelibs-devel-3.5.4-25.el5.centos.1.x86_64.rpm
> kdelibs-devel-3.5.4-25.el5.centos.1.i386.rpm
> kdelibs-3.5.4-25.el5.centos.1.x86_64.rpm
> kdelibs-3.5.4-25.el5.centos.1.i386.rpm
> kdelibs-apidocs-3.5.4-25.el5.centos.1.x86_64.rpm
> kexec-tools-1.102pre-77.el5.3.x86_64.rpm
> system-config-lvm-1.1.5-1.0.el5_4.1.noarch.rpm
> openswan-doc-2.6.21-5.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm
> openswan-2.6.21-5.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm
> xterm-215-8.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm
> metacity-2.16.0-12.el5_4.1.x86_64.rpm
> metacity-2.16.0-12.el5_4.1.i386.rpm
>
Here is what my logs show for the last three updates that ran
successfully:

Nov 14 10:02:13 Updated: 1:libvorbis-1.1.2-3.el5_4.4.x86_64
Nov 14 10:02:13 Installed: libmpeg2-0.5.1-2.el5.rf.x86_64
Nov 14 10:02:14 Installed: libmpeg2-utils-0.5.1-2.el5.rf.x86_64
Nov 14 10:02:17 Updated: httpd-2.2.3-31.el5.centos.2.x86_64
Nov 14 10:02:17 Updated: dbus-python-0.70-9.el5_4.x86_64
Nov 14 10:02:18 Updated: 1:libvorbis-1.1.2-3.el5_4.4.i386
Nov 14 10:02:19 Updated: 1:libvorbis-devel-1.1.2-3.el5_4.4.i386
Nov 14 10:02:19 Updated: 1:libvorbis-devel-1.1.2-3.el5_4.4.x86_64
Nov 14 10:02:19 Erased: mpeg2dec
Nov 17 21:26:08 Installed: aide-0.13.1-4.el5.x86_64
Nov 24 22:04:43 Updated: 1:cups-libs-1.3.7-11.el5_4.4.x86_64
Nov 24 22:04:44 Updated: 1:cups-libs-1.3.7-11.el5_4.4.i386
Nov 24 22:04:52 Updated: 1:cups-1.3.7-11.el5_4.4.x86_64
Nov 27 08:59:17 Installed: twolame-0.3.12-1.el5.rf.x86_64
Nov 27 08:59:18 Updated: gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.11-1.el5.rf.x86_64
Nov 27 08:59:18 Updated: gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.6-1.el5.rf.x86_64
Nov 28 08:35:38 Updated: metacity-2.16.0-12.el5_4.1.x86_64
Nov 28 08:35:38 Updated: xterm-215-8.el5_4.1.x86_64
Nov 28 08:35:39 Updated: kexec-tools-1.102pre-77.el5.3.x86_64
Nov 28 08:35:41 Updated: system-config-lvm-1.1.5-1.0.el5_4.1.noarch
Nov 28 08:35:47 Updated: metacity-2.16.0-12.el5_4.1.i386


So...maybe I'm just an IA guy with a worrying problem. I'm used to my
Windoze boxes updating nearly every time I boot them. I'm also used to
Fedora 10 and 11 which seem to have updates every two or three days.

DaveM


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-15-2009, 01:31 AM
"Mathew S. McCarrell"
 
Default yum quit working in CentOS 5.4 x86_64

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 7:31 PM, David McGuffey <davidmcguffey@verizon.net> wrote:

Here is what my logs show for the last three updates that ran

successfully:



Nov 14 10:02:13 Updated: 1:libvorbis-1.1.2-3.el5_4.4.x86_64

Nov 14 10:02:13 Installed: libmpeg2-0.5.1-2.el5.rf.x86_64

Nov 14 10:02:14 Installed: libmpeg2-utils-0.5.1-2.el5.rf.x86_64

Nov 14 10:02:17 Updated: httpd-2.2.3-31.el5.centos.2.x86_64

Nov 14 10:02:17 Updated: dbus-python-0.70-9.el5_4.x86_64

Nov 14 10:02:18 Updated: 1:libvorbis-1.1.2-3.el5_4.4.i386

Nov 14 10:02:19 Updated: 1:libvorbis-devel-1.1.2-3.el5_4.4.i386

Nov 14 10:02:19 Updated: 1:libvorbis-devel-1.1.2-3.el5_4.4.x86_64

Nov 14 10:02:19 Erased: mpeg2dec

Nov 17 21:26:08 Installed: aide-0.13.1-4.el5.x86_64

Nov 24 22:04:43 Updated: 1:cups-libs-1.3.7-11.el5_4.4.x86_64

Nov 24 22:04:44 Updated: 1:cups-libs-1.3.7-11.el5_4.4.i386

Nov 24 22:04:52 Updated: 1:cups-1.3.7-11.el5_4.4.x86_64

Nov 27 08:59:17 Installed: twolame-0.3.12-1.el5.rf.x86_64

Nov 27 08:59:18 Updated: gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.11-1.el5.rf.x86_64

Nov 27 08:59:18 Updated: gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.6-1.el5.rf.x86_64

Nov 28 08:35:38 Updated: metacity-2.16.0-12.el5_4.1.x86_64

Nov 28 08:35:38 Updated: xterm-215-8.el5_4.1.x86_64

Nov 28 08:35:39 Updated: kexec-tools-1.102pre-77.el5.3.x86_64

Nov 28 08:35:41 Updated: system-config-lvm-1.1.5-1.0.el5_4.1.noarch

Nov 28 08:35:47 Updated: metacity-2.16.0-12.el5_4.1.i386





So...maybe I'm just an IA guy with a worrying problem. *I'm used to my

Windoze boxes updating nearly every time I boot them. *I'm also used to

Fedora 10 and 11 which seem to have updates every two or three days.



DaveM



I think your just worrying.* According to the announce list archives (http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/), there haven't been any updates released for CentOS 5 since Nov. 27th.


Matt

--
Mathew S. McCarrell
Clarkson University '10

mccarrms@gmail.com
mccarrms@clarkson.edu
1-518-314-9214


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:29 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org