Old 12-12-2009, 06:10 AM
Rogelio

Default Red Hat commercial support for CentOS/Fedora

Someone told me that if you have a CentOS or Fedora server, you can pay a Red Hat yearly fee and get them to support it (because the environments are so similar).

Can anyone here substantiate this claim?

Old 12-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Robert Heller

> Someone told me that if you have a CentOS or Fedora server, you can pay a
> Red Hat yearly fee and get them to support it (because the environments are
> so similar).
>
> Can anyone here substantiate this claim?

If you A) need commercial support and B) need an 'enterprise' O/S, then
you can pay RedHat for RHEL, which includes support. RedHat won't
provide commercial support for either CentOS or Fedora Core.
CentOS and RHEL are pretty much the *same* environment (binary
equivelant -- CentOS has just been de-branded and the few non
open-source packages removed). Fedora Core is not that same -- it is
more like a beta-testbed for RHEL/CentOS and is stricky community supported.

Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Old 12-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Ron Blizzard

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Rogelio <scubacuda@gmail.com> wrote:
> Someone told me that if you have a CentOS or Fedora server, you can pay a
> Red Hat yearly fee and get them to support it (because the environments are
> so similar).
>
> Can anyone here substantiate this claim?

No support from Red Hat, as Robert Heller explained, but OpenLogic has
recently announced commercial support for CentOS

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OpenLogic-offers-CentOS-Linux-support-for-enterprises-873790.html

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.4

Old 12-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Connie Sieh

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Ron Blizzard wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Rogelio <scubacuda@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Someone told me that if you have a CentOS or Fedora server, you can pay a
>> Red Hat yearly fee and get them to support it (because the environments are
>> so similar).
>>
>> Can anyone here substantiate this claim?
>
> No support from Red Hat, as Robert Heller explained, but OpenLogic has
> recently announced commercial support for CentOS
>
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OpenLogic-offers-CentOS-Linux-support-for-enterprises-873790.html

But if you want to pay for support for CentOS why not just pay RedHat for
RHEL .

-Connie Sieh

Old 12-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Brian Mathis

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Connie Sieh <csieh@fnal.gov> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Ron Blizzard wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Rogelio <scubacuda@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Someone told me that if you have a CentOS or Fedora server, you can pay a
>>> Red Hat yearly fee and get them to support it (because the environments are
>>> so similar).
>>>
>>> Can anyone here substantiate this claim?
>>
>> No support from Red Hat, as Robert Heller explained, but OpenLogic has
>> recently announced commercial support for CentOS
>>
>> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OpenLogic-offers-CentOS-Linux-support-for-enterprises-873790.html
>
> But if you want to pay for support for CentOS why not just pay RedHat for
> RHEL .
>
> -Connie Sieh

You might have a bunch of servers already installed with CentOS that
you need support on, or you might need some consulting on one problem
without wanting to pay for yearly subscriptions and license fees.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Ryan Pugatch

Connie Sieh wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Ron Blizzard wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Rogelio <scubacuda@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Someone told me that if you have a CentOS or Fedora server, you can pay a
>>> Red Hat yearly fee and get them to support it (because the environments are
>>> so similar).
>>>
>>> Can anyone here substantiate this claim?
>> No support from Red Hat, as Robert Heller explained, but OpenLogic has
>> recently announced commercial support for CentOS
>>
>> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OpenLogic-offers-CentOS-Linux-support-for-enterprises-873790.html
>>

> But if you want to pay for support for CentOS why not just pay RedHat for
> RHEL .
>
> -Connie Sieh

Agreed. CentOS is pretty much RHEL without the support contract.

- Ryan

Old 12-17-2009, 07:42 AM
Ron Blizzard

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Brian Mathis <brian.mathis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Connie Sieh <csieh@fnal.gov> wrote:

>>> No support from Red Hat, as Robert Heller explained, but OpenLogic has
>>> recently announced commercial support for CentOS
>>>
>>> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OpenLogic-offers-CentOS-Linux-support-for-enterprises-873790.html
>>
>> But if you want to pay for support for CentOS why not just pay RedHat for
>> RHEL .
>>
>> -Connie Sieh
>>

> You might have a bunch of servers already installed with CentOS that
> you need support on, or you might need some consulting on one problem
> without wanting to pay for yearly subscriptions and license fees.

And it could be that OpenLogic is cheaper and/or more flexible. I
don't even know what Red Hat charges -- according to the linked press
release OpenLogic seems pretty flexible...

"Pricing on the support ranges from $500 per server, per year, for
small deployments and with unlimited server support starting at
$15,000 per year."

But I agree with Connie. Ideally I think you would want to go with Red
Hat. Not only should they know more about their own product, but by
licensing Red Hat you support the company that makes CentOS possible.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.4

Old 12-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 12/12/2009 07:10 AM, Rogelio wrote:
> Someone told me that if you have a CentOS or Fedora server, you can pay
> a Red Hat yearly fee and get them to support it (because the
> environments are so similar).
>
> Can anyone here substantiate this claim?

Not sure why you are bringing up that question here. Redhat dont do
support or sales work via the CentOS users list.

If you want to know if they will support it - why not speak to them ?

--
Karanbir Singh
London, UK | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh

Old 12-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Connie Sieh

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Brian Mathis wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Connie Sieh <csieh@fnal.gov> wrote:

>>> No support from Red Hat, as Robert Heller explained, but OpenLogic has
>>> recently announced commercial support for CentOS
>>>
>>> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OpenLogic-offers-CentOS-Linux-support-for-enterprises-873790.html
>>
>> But if you want to pay for support for CentOS why not just pay RedHat for
>> RHEL .
>>
>> -Connie Sieh
>>

> You might have a bunch of servers already installed with CentOS that
> you need support on, or you might need some consulting on one problem
> without wanting to pay for yearly subscriptions and license fees.

Note that RedHat does not charge for license fees for RHEL. All you have
to pay for is the yearly subscription.

Consulting is consulting and is not support.

CentOS is dependent on RedHat. If money is to be spend on a support
contract then just use RHEL and give the money to RedHat.

If you need consulting then contract for a consultant.

-Connie Sieh