Old 12-14-2009, 12:24 PM
John Doe

Default Firewall for virtual machines

From: mark <m.roth@5-cent.us>
> Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> > Mhr wrote on Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:50:27 -0800:
> >
> >> would it be a bad idea (or a complete waste)
> >> to use a firewall, like ZoneAlarm, on my Windows guest OS?
> >
> > Yes, using ZA is a bad idea. XP has its own firewall which is enabled by
> > default if you are patched up-to-date. Keep that on.
>
> Huh? I've *NEVER* heard great things about WinDoze firewall, and the std. from
> the fairly heavy duty folks I know who support WinDoze is that the std for
> non-commercial is ZoneAlarm.

Personaly, I use ZoneAlarm 'mainly' for the outbound blocking.
I like to know (and allow/disalow) when an application tries to phone home...

JD

Old 12-14-2009, 12:30 PM
KJS

John Doe wrote:
> From: mark <m.roth@5-cent.us>
>
>> Kai Schaetzl wrote:

>>> Yes, using ZA is a bad idea. XP has its own firewall which is enabled by
>>> default if you are patched up-to-date. Keep that on.
>>>
>> Huh? I've *NEVER* heard great things about WinDoze firewall, and the std. from
>> the fairly heavy duty folks I know who support WinDoze is that the std for
>> non-commercial is ZoneAlarm.
>>

> Personaly, I use ZoneAlarm 'mainly' for the outbound blocking.
> I like to know (and allow/disalow) when an application tries to phone home...
>
> JD

Personally, I have had Zone Alarm mess up it's ACL a few times and block
applications in it's allow list. I normally firewall else where & use
Windows Firewall for internal stuff, the Windows Firewall in Windows7
supports an ACL for inbound and outbound rules.

HTH

--
IT Support Bristol & Computer Support Bristol

http://www.netzensolutions.com