-   -   raid10, centos 4.x (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/293664-raid10-centos-4-x.html)

Christopher Chan 12-10-2009 11:28 PM

raid10, centos 4.x

John R Pierce wrote:
> I just created a 4 drive mdadm --level=raid10 on a centos 4.8-ish system
> here, and shortly thereafter remembreed I hadn't updated it in a while,
> so i ran yum update...
>
> while installing/updating stuff, got these errors:
>
> Installing: kernel #######################
> [14/69]
> raid level raid10 (in /proc/mdstat) not recognized
> Installing: kernel-smp #######################
> [19/69]
> raid level raid10 (in /proc/mdstat) not recognized
>

> is this a problem? the raid10 'seems' to work....

If anaconda is doing the update here, I guess it is because anaconda in
4.x does not have raid10 personality support. The raid10 personality is
NOT the same as nested raid1+0. It is an entirely new module from Neil
Brown that has a poor choice of a name imho. It does things very
differently from what you expect from a nested raid1+0 array.

John R Pierce 12-10-2009 11:51 PM

raid10, centos 4.x

Christopher Chan wrote:
> If anaconda is doing the update here, I guess it is because anaconda in
> 4.x does not have raid10 personality support. The raid10 personality is
> NOT the same as nested raid1+0. It is an entirely new module from Neil
> Brown that has a poor choice of a name imho. It does things very
> differently from what you expect from a nested raid1+0 array.

the update was a simple `yum update`

differently how? I expect to be striping two mirrors, all munged into
one unit, without generating intermediate MD devices which has always
seemed messy to me.

.

Christopher Chan 12-11-2009 12:06 AM

raid10, centos 4.x