Old 12-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Screen capture in Terminal

I don't see how to do it.

I had to telnet into a firewall and run a trace, and I had to stop it,
copy and paste to gedit, then start again, etc.

I find it interesting, and sad, that there is no easy 'output to file'
profile setting.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Rick Barnes

> I don't see how to do it.
>
> I had to telnet into a firewall and run a trace, and I had to stop it,
> copy and paste to gedit, then start again, etc.
>
> I find it interesting, and sad, that there is no easy 'output to file'
> profile setting.

man script

Old 12-10-2009, 12:10 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 08:05:06AM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I don't see how to do it.
>
> I had to telnet into a firewall and run a trace, and I had to stop it,
> copy and paste to gedit, then start again, etc.
>
> I find it interesting, and sad, that there is no easy 'output to file'
> profile setting.

Would "script" take care of it for you?

John

--
I want a government small enough to fit inside the Constitution.

-- DownsizeDC.org co-founder Harry Browne (1933-2006)

Old 12-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Mark Caudill

Rick Barnes wrote:
> On 12/10/2009 08:05 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I don't see how to do it.
>>
>> I had to telnet into a firewall and run a trace, and I had to stop it,
>> copy and paste to gedit, then start again, etc.
>>
>> I find it interesting, and sad, that there is no easy 'output to file'
>> profile setting.
>
> man script

Hi all. I'm new on this list but I think this might help. If you start
screen first, enable logging (default ^a H) then run telnet and your
commands, it will create a screenlog.X (where X is the screen number)
file. Mileage may vary depending on how the data is being output to the
terminal but it's worth s try.

--
Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
- Steve Wozniak

Old 12-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Les Mikesell

Rick Barnes wrote:
> On 12/10/2009 08:05 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I don't see how to do it.
>>
>> I had to telnet into a firewall and run a trace, and I had to stop it,
>> copy and paste to gedit, then start again, etc.
>>
>> I find it interesting, and sad, that there is no easy 'output to file'
>> profile setting.
>
> man script

That saves the whole session and is sometimes useful. But, usually with command
line programs you would just redirect the individual command's output to a file
with '> filename' on the command line, or pipe through tee '|tee filename' if
you want to see it at the same time.

Also, the terminal windows have a fairly big scroll-back buffer which you can
increase with edit/profile so if you do decide to copy something after it
happens you don't have to stop while it is still showing.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Mark Caudill wrote:
> Rick Barnes wrote:
>
>> On 12/10/2009 08:05 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> I don't see how to do it.
>>>
>>> I had to telnet into a firewall and run a trace, and I had to stop it,
>>> copy and paste to gedit, then start again, etc.
>>>
>>> I find it interesting, and sad, that there is no easy 'output to file'
>>> profile setting.
>>>
>> man script
>>

> Hi all. I'm new on this list but I think this might help. If you start
> screen first, enable logging (default ^a H) then run telnet and your
> commands,

This sounds like what I am looking for, where is it documented?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Rick Barnes wrote:
>
>> On 12/10/2009 08:05 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> I don't see how to do it.
>>>
>>> I had to telnet into a firewall and run a trace, and I had to stop it,
>>> copy and paste to gedit, then start again, etc.
>>>
>>> I find it interesting, and sad, that there is no easy 'output to file'
>>> profile setting.
>>>
>> man script
>>

> That saves the whole session and is sometimes useful. But, usually with command
> line programs you would just redirect the individual command's output to a file
> with '> filename' on the command line, or pipe through tee '|tee filename' if
> you want to see it at the same time.

I use that a lot, but it doesn't work for telnet.

> Also, the terminal windows have a fairly big scroll-back buffer which you can
> increase with edit/profile so if you do decide to copy something after it
> happens you don't have to stop while it is still showing.

This last case it was ~4000 lines worth, the default is 500. And I did
not know it was that much until I started dealing with the debug dump.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Mark Caudill

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Mark Caudill wrote:
>> Rick Barnes wrote:

>>> man script
>>>
>> Hi all. I'm new on this list but I think this might help. If you start
>> screen first, enable logging (default ^a H) then run telnet and your
>> commands,
>
> This sounds like what I am looking for, where is it documented?

Mainly in man screen. Just do this though (this will work if you have a
stock install and no custom .screenrc):
1) yum install screen # Install screen
2) screen # Start screen
3) Press Ctrl-a then H # This starts logging the current window (should
be 0)
4) telnet firewall # Log in to your firewall
5) Ctrl-a H again # Run this once you're done on the firewall to
close the log
6) exit # Exits screen
7) less screenlog.0 # View your screenlog.