Old 12-08-2009, 10:04 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default openpkg

Anyone here using openpkg? Any thoughts about it?

Old 12-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Bill Campbell

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> Anyone here using openpkg? Any thoughts about it?

We have been using this since 2001 or so when we moved from
Caldera Linux to SuSE. We now use it on CentOS, OpenSolaris,
FreeBSD, OS X, and even SCO OpenServer 5.0.6a.

For an old writeup I did on this see this page.

http://www.celestial.com/support/Documentation/openpkg

Using OpenPKG vastly simplifies the job of maintaining server
software without having to depend on the underlying vendor's
packaging, and does so with minimal intrusion on the system. We
don't have to worry about what versions of apache, postfix, php,
postgresql, mysql, berkeley db, etc. the vendor supplies as we
use the OpenPKG packages in their place. Typically we get
updates out to large numbers of systems within 24 hours of
updates of things like clamav, samba, far quicker than CentOS or
others make them available.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

It's very glamorous to raise millions of dollars, until it's time for the
venture capitalist to suck your eyeballs out.
-- Peter Kennedy, chairman of Kraft & Kennedy.