Old 12-08-2009, 08:03 PM
"Kemp, Larry"

Default CentOS DHCP Server

CentOS Community,

I need help with a CentOS DHCP server.

I have a simple 32bit CentOS 5.3 server running on an Intel chip server in a lab environment with two NIC's.

Interfaces:
eth0 - Is connected to the Internet using a static public IP address.
eth1 - Is connected to a private 10.1.1.0/24 LAN with no other access to the web.
Runs DHCP to the internal client systems.
Is the default gateway for all LAN traffic to the Internet.
Runs iptables as the firewall between the LAN and the Internet.

On eth1 DHCP was running with no problems for some time. This lab system sat for months untouched and then we revisited this product/project only to find that DHCP would not start. It gave us this following error:

Failed to start dhcpd :
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.1.3
Copyright 2004-2009 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
Listening on LPF/eth1/00:50:ba:c0:43:c7/10.1.1/24
Sending on LPF/eth1/00:50:ba:c0:43:c7/10.1.1/24
Can't bind to dhcp address: Address already in use
Please make sure there is no other dhcp server
running and that there's no entry for dhcp or
bootp in /etc/inetd.conf. Also make sure you
are not running HP JetAdmin software, which
includes a bootp server.

There is no other DHCP server on this LAN or on the public /30 that eth0 connects to (not that eth0 would impact my internal LAN).

I saw there were ofcourse many systems updates for CentOS and thought that a might resolve. It did not.

I then downloaded many versions of ISC's DHCP and compile and tried each of them from source code. This problems still exists. I have tried even the very simplest of dhcp.conf files and DHCP will still not start. Have I found a bug in the ISC DHCP code? Unlikely. I hope that one of you has run into this before and can help me out. Thanks greatly in advance.

Respectfully,

Larry Kemp
Network Engineer
U.S. Metropolitan Telecom, LLC
Bonita Springs FL USA

Old 12-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Jon Moore

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Kemp, Larry <Larry.Kemp@usmetrotel.com> wrote:
> CentOS Community,
>
> I need help with a CentOS DHCP server.
>
> I have a simple 32bit CentOS 5.3 server running on an Intel chip server in a lab environment with two NIC's.
>
> Interfaces:
> eth0 - Is connected to the Internet using a static public IP address.
> eth1 - Is connected to a private 10.1.1.0/24 LAN with no other access to the web.
> * * * * Runs DHCP to the internal client systems.
> * * * Is the default gateway for all LAN traffic to the Internet.
> * * * Runs iptables as the firewall between the LAN and the Internet.
>
> On eth1 DHCP was running with no problems for some time. This lab system sat for months untouched and then we revisited this product/project only to find that DHCP would not start. It gave us this following error:
>
> * * * *Failed to start dhcpd :
> * * * *Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.1.3
> * * * *Copyright 2004-2009 Internet Systems Consortium.
> * * * *All rights reserved.
> * * * *For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
> * * * *Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
> * * * *Listening on LPF/eth1/00:50:ba:c0:43:c7/10.1.1/24
> * * * *Sending on * LPF/eth1/00:50:ba:c0:43:c7/10.1.1/24
> * * * *Can't bind to dhcp address: Address already in use
> * * * *Please make sure there is no other dhcp server
> * * * *running and that there's no entry for dhcp or
> * * * *bootp in /etc/inetd.conf. * Also make sure you
> * * * *are not running HP JetAdmin software, which
> * * * *includes a bootp server.
><snip>

The error message makes me think another dhcpd daemon is running.
Have you checked for this with 'ps aux | grep dhcpd' or similar?

Since you've done updates, I'd assume you've rebooted the server, so
it seems strange this might be the issue. Could possibly check to see
if there is indeed another dhcpd daemon running. Something along the
lines of 'netstat -patun | grep dhcp' or look for anything listening
on UDP:68, iirc.

Someone else will probably be able to provide better help.

-jonathan

Old 12-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Ron Loftin

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 16:03 -0500, Kemp, Larry wrote:
> CentOS Community,
>
> I need help with a CentOS DHCP server.
>
> I have a simple 32bit CentOS 5.3 server running on an Intel chip server in a lab environment with two NIC's.
>
> Interfaces:
> eth0 - Is connected to the Internet using a static public IP address.
> eth1 - Is connected to a private 10.1.1.0/24 LAN with no other access to the web.
> Runs DHCP to the internal client systems.
> Is the default gateway for all LAN traffic to the Internet.
> Runs iptables as the firewall between the LAN and the Internet.
>
> On eth1 DHCP was running with no problems for some time. This lab system sat for months untouched and then we revisited this product/project only to find that DHCP would not start. It gave us this following error:
>
> Failed to start dhcpd :
> Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.1.3
> Copyright 2004-2009 Internet Systems Consortium.
> All rights reserved.
> For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
> Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
> Listening on LPF/eth1/00:50:ba:c0:43:c7/10.1.1/24
> Sending on LPF/eth1/00:50:ba:c0:43:c7/10.1.1/24
> Can't bind to dhcp address: Address already in use
> Please make sure there is no other dhcp server
> running and that there's no entry for dhcp or
> bootp in /etc/inetd.conf. Also make sure you
> are not running HP JetAdmin software, which
> includes a bootp server.
>
> There is no other DHCP server on this LAN or on the public /30 that eth0 connects to (not that eth0 would impact my internal LAN).

I'm just guessing here, but I think that this message is telling you
that something else is bound to that interface on port 67 ( DHCP server
port ) which occasionally can happen by chance.

Try lsof like this ( as root, of course ):

lsof -i -Pn | grep :67

This should show you what has grabbed port 67 and it may be something
you can stop and restart to get a different ( random ) port assignment.

Like I said, this is just a guess.

> I saw there were ofcourse many systems updates for CentOS and thought that a might resolve. It did not.
>
> I then downloaded many versions of ISC's DHCP and compile and tried each of them from source code. This problems still exists. I have tried even the very simplest of dhcp.conf files and DHCP will still not start. Have I found a bug in the ISC DHCP code? Unlikely. I hope that one of you has run into this before and can help me out. Thanks greatly in advance.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Larry Kemp
> Network Engineer
> U.S. Metropolitan Telecom, LLC
> Bonita Springs FL USA
Ron Loftin reloftin@twcny.rr.com

"God, root, what is difference ?" Piter from UserFriendly

Old 12-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Alan McKay

See if someone else is hanging onto port 67

[root@morrison ~]# lsof -i -P | grep :67
dnsmasq 23404 nobody 5u IPv4 46029087 UDP *:67

dnsmasq is a popular light-weight DHCP server

Old 12-08-2009, 08:35 PM
"Kemp, Larry"

Yep. Dnsmasq was parked on 67. Gonna have to "yum remove" him. Big thanks guys.

LK

Old 12-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Alan McKay

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Kemp, Larry <Larry.Kemp@usmetrotel.com> wrote:
> Yep. Dnsmasq was parked on 67. Gonna have to "yum remove" him. Big thanks guys.

better be sure first that it is not also acting as a DNS server since
it does both

Old 12-14-2009, 02:45 PM
"Kemp, Larry"

Dnsmasq...good lightweight program that works in many instances. This was a very good lesson for me to first do a less on /etc/services before I bother the group with questions (noob mistake). I just configured BIND to handle my DNS requests. This particular box is a hybrid/appliance of sorts that we are working on in a lab. It functions as a firewall between the Internet and a private /24 LAN running iptables. It runs Aterisk for internal/external SIP communications with a hacked up interface of Spencer's code to have a branded look. Internally it runs DHCP for phones and PC's and DNS for internal LAN and Internet resolution of hosts. And Apache an TFTP for booting of SIP-phone-filesystems and logos on the phones. Probably a much better/faster/lighter way to do it all but it serves test purposes for now. Thanks all for the direction.

LK

--
"Don't eat anything you've ever seen advertised on TV"