Old 12-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Stephen Nelson-Smith

Default No ulimit for user

Hi,

I'm trying to remove any limit on open files for a user; I've set
username nofiles to unlimited in /etc/security/logins.conf, but now I
get "could not open session" if I try to su to the user.

singhh - nofile unlimited

I think this is related to PAM, so I've modifed /etc/pam.d/su and
/etc/pam.d/login to use pam_limits.so:

# cat /etc/pam.d/su
#%PAM-1.0
auth sufficient pam_rootok.so
# Uncomment the following line to implicitly trust users in the "wheel" group.
#auth sufficient pam_wheel.so trust use_uid
# Uncomment the following line to require a user to be in the "wheel" group.
#auth required pam_wheel.so use_uid
auth include system-auth
account sufficient pam_succeed_if.so uid = 0 use_uid quiet
account include system-auth
password include system-auth
session required pam_limits.so
session include system-auth
session optional pam_xauth.so

# cat /etc/pam.d/login
#%PAM-1.0
auth [user_unknown=ignore success=ok ignore=ignore default=bad] pam_securetty.so
auth include system-auth
account required pam_nologin.so
account include system-auth
password include system-auth
# pam_selinux.so close should be the first session rule
session required pam_selinux.so close
session include system-auth
session required pam_loginuid.so
session optional pam_console.so
# pam_selinux.so open should only be followed by sessions to be
executed in the user context
session required pam_selinux.so pam_limits.so open
session optional pam_keyinit.so force revoke

What am I doing wrong?

S.