Old 12-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Lars Hecking

Default VirtualBox and CentOS

I recently doownloaded and installed the latest RHEL5 rpm from the VirtualBox
web site. While it generally works very well, I have been unable to get USB
access to work on the guest.

This seems to be a very common problem. Many references to it turn up in a
web search, but I have not found a solution that works on CentOS 5. I got no
response on the vbox-users mailing list either. Can anyone here help?

Among the things I tried were various /sys and /proc/bus/usb related fstab
and rc.sysinit changes. Drew a total blank on this one ...

Old 12-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Max Hetrick

Lars Hecking wrote:
> I recently doownloaded and installed the latest RHEL5 rpm from the VirtualBox
> web site. While it generally works very well, I have been unable to get USB
> access to work on the guest.
>
> This seems to be a very common problem. Many references to it turn up in a
> web search, but I have not found a solution that works on CentOS 5. I got no
> response on the vbox-users mailing list either. Can anyone here help?
>
> Among the things I tried were various /sys and /proc/bus/usb related fstab
> and rc.sysinit changes. Drew a total blank on this one ...

I have had the same problem. The only thing that I've found to work is this:

Get your vboxusers group ID
# cat /etc/group | vboxusers

Remount the USBFS with your vboxusers GID
# mount -t usbfs -o remount,devgid=GID,devmode=664 /proc/bus/usb
/proc/bus/usb

Change the permissions on /dev/vboxdrv
# chmod g+rw /dev/vboxdrv

Restart the vboxdrv service
# service vboxdrv restart

Now when you boot your VM up the USB devices aren't greyed out any
longer. I suppose you could script this if you wanted, add the usbfs
mount to /etc/fstab and have the chmod go in a startup script or something.

Regards,
Max

Old 12-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Lars Hecking

> Get your vboxusers group ID
> # cat /etc/group | vboxusers
>
> Remount the USBFS with your vboxusers GID
> # mount -t usbfs -o remount,devgid=GID,devmode=664 /proc/bus/usb
> /proc/bus/usb

This is the bit that won't work. The mount options seem to have no effect:

# ll /proc/bus
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Dec 8 16:51 input
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Dec 8 16:51 pccard
dr-xr-xr-x 6 root root 0 Dec 8 12:09 pci
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 0 Dec 8 12:08 usb
# ll /proc/bus/usb
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Dec 8 12:08 001
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Dec 8 12:08 002
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Dec 8 12:08 003
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Dec 8 12:08 004
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Dec 8 12:08 005
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Dec 8 16:47 devices

> Change the permissions on /dev/vboxdrv
> # chmod g+rw /dev/vboxdrv

This one is new to me ...

> Restart the vboxdrv service
> # service vboxdrv restart

... and this one resets the permissions on /dev/vboxdrv to 600.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Jim Perrin

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Lars Hecking
I would imaging it's rather similar to this ->
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20097

George Orwell

Old 12-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Jim Perrin

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Jim Perrin <jperrin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Lars Hecking
> <lhecking@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> I would imaging it's rather similar to this ->
> http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20097

Gah, lowsy spel chekc not pikcing up waht I mean. s/imaging/imagine/

George Orwell

Old 12-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Lars Hecking

Jim Perrin writes:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Lars Hecking
> <lhecking@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> I would imaging it's rather similar to this ->
> http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20097

Been there, tried that.

VirtualBox actually complains if you mess with /sys/bus/usb/drivers:

"You seem to have the USBFS filesystem mounted at /sys/bus/usb/drivers.
We strongly recommend that you change this, as it is a severe
mis-configuration of your system which could cause USB devices to fail
in unexpected ways."

Old 12-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Max Hetrick

Jim Perrin wrote:

>> I would imaging it's rather similar to this ->
>> http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20097
>

> Gah, lowsy spel chekc not pikcing up waht I mean. s/imaging/imagine/

Ridiculous, I know...a computer should know what you're thinking and how
to spell it.

I tried everything in that post as well, and nothing worked for me.
Finally I found the process I laid out and it worked.

The link to it is here which is an old ticket:

<http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/705>

Max

Old 12-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Max Hetrick

Lars Hecking wrote:

> This is the bit that won't work. The mount options seem to have no effect:
> dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Dec 8 12:08 001
> dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Dec 8 12:08 002
> dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Dec 8 12:08 003
> dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Dec 8 12:08 004
> dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Dec 8 12:08 005
> -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Dec 8 16:47 devices

Not to doubt you, but you made sure to put your group id in
devgid=some_number?

> ... and this one resets the permissions on /dev/vboxdrv to 600.

Hmmm, the permissions stay for me.

I too struggled to get USB to work, it seems to be pretty lacking with
Linux support in VirtualBox, which is a big downfall. Although, I had a
lot of issues with permissions with VMware Server as well when I ran it.
I guess pick your poison.

This process works for me though, so I'm not sure what else to suggest
to help you out.

Regards,
Max

Old 12-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Lars Hecking

> I tried everything in that post as well, and nothing worked for me.
> Finally I found the process I laid out and it worked.
>
> The link to it is here which is an old ticket:
>
> <http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/705>

I've tested it and it works! Presumably, it might have worked in some of
my previous attempts, but I only now figured out that I need to manually
attach the device via device menu or USB icon. Not exactly plug and play,
but workable.

The mount command itself is sufficient here, no need to stop vboxdrv (or
vboxnet, which doesn't exist), or chmod g+rw /dev/vboxdrv.

Thanks, Max!

Old 12-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Max Hetrick

Lars Hecking wrote:
> I've tested it and it works! Presumably, it might have worked in some of
> my previous attempts, but I only now figured out that I need to manually
> attach the device via device menu or USB icon. Not exactly plug and play,
> but workable.
>
> The mount command itself is sufficient here, no need to stop vboxdrv (or
> vboxnet, which doesn't exist), or chmod g+rw /dev/vboxdrv.

Oh, ok, cool. Yeah, I didn't try it without restarting vboxdrv so that's
nice to know too!

Thanks,
Max