Old 12-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default lvm monitoring

Hi,

At the moment, I am monitoring my lvm resources on a machine with the
usual 'pvs;vgs;lvs' output and comparing with whatever is a known good
state. But this has a few problems:

1- I need to setup a known good state per machine, which can look quite
different from each other : specially when machines are getting dynamic
vm builds and teardowns dozens of times per day, or when disk resource
allocations are spread over more than one machine.

2- Its hard to work out what is really going on with bits that are not
mounted ( like snapshots ).

3- its hard to tie down to physical media ( I screen scrape at the
moment, which is dirty and exceptionally prone to nose! )

I am sure there are plenty of people who are monitoring lvm setups on
their machines, just wondering what it is that you guys are doing.

- KB