Old 12-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Lars Hecking

Default Kickstart wrong swap size

Lars Hecking writes:

> All machines kickstarted here consistently have a swap partition with the
> wrong size. According to the RHEL5 manual:
>
> | To determine the size of the swap partition automatically, use the
> | --recommended option:
> |
> | swap --recommended
> |
> | The recommended maximum swap size for machines with less than 2GB of RAM is
> | twice the amount of RAM. For machines with 2GB or more, this recommendation
> | changes to 2GB plus the amount of RAM.
>
> However, the swap partition on all kickstarted machines is 2GB, regardless
> of RAM size.

This seems to be a 5.2-specific bug - 5.3 and 5.4 appear to do the right thing.

Time to upgrade, I guess.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:56 PM
John Doe

From: Lars Hecking <lhecking@users.sourceforge.net>
> All machines kickstarted here consistently have a swap partition with the
> wrong size. According to the RHEL5 manual:
>
> | To determine the size of the swap partition automatically, use the
> | --recommended option:
> |
> | swap --recommended
> |
> | The recommended maximum swap size for machines with less than 2GB of RAM is
> | twice the amount of RAM. For machines with 2GB or more, this recommendation
> | changes to 2GB plus the amount of RAM.
>
> However, the swap partition on all kickstarted machines is 2GB, regardless
> of RAM size.

The installation guide says "between":

"If the system memory is between 128MB and 2GB, the size of the swap
partition will be between the system memory size and twice the amount
of system memory. For example, a system with 1GB of system memory will
have a swap partition sized *** between 1GB and 2GB ***.
If the system memory is higher than 2GB, the size of the swap partition
will be a between 1GB and 2GB plus system memory. For example, a system
with 4GB of system memory will have a swap partition sized *** between 1GB
and 6GB ***."

You could always have a pre-script generate the 'correct' swap size (based on your own formula), put it in a file and include that file in the kickstart file...

JD

Old 12-07-2009, 02:33 PM
"nate"

Lars Hecking wrote:

> The kickstart setup is currently based on CentOS 5.2 (and I cannot move to
> 5.4 yet as this is a corporate setup affecting hundreds of machines).
> Hardcoding swap size isn't a good idea either because there's a range of
> different memory configurations. I could however confirm that a manual,
> graphical install from the 5.4 DVD with recommended settings creates 10GB
> swap on a 8GB RAM machine.

For my systems I have a bit of logic in my %pre kickstart config
that looks for a swapsize command line option and uses that as the
swap size(if it doesn't find one it defaults to 4G, I really never
want my own systems swapping more than 4G, I set my VMs to 1G of
swap).

nate