Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Andrew

Default Mic not working with skype

I've just installed a beta version of skype in CentOS 5.3 and everything
seems fine - the mic is working OK as I can hear it through the speakers
(feedback). Problem is I can't get the mic to actually work with skype
(eg with skype call testing service) - it may be that one of the many
settings is incorrect - has anybody else had this problem and got any
suggestions please?

Andy

Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Niki Kovacs

Andrew a écrit :
> I've just installed a beta version of skype in CentOS 5.3 and everything
> seems fine - the mic is working OK as I can hear it through the speakers
> (feedback). Problem is I can't get the mic to actually work with skype
> (eg with skype call testing service) - it may be that one of the many
> settings is incorrect - has anybody else had this problem and got any
> suggestions please?

When using the Skype call testing service... let the call go until the
end of the 18 or so seconds. This is a trap I also got caught in. Just
speak into your mic, and then wait until the testing service hangs up.
Then you'll hear your message.

Cheers,

Niki

Old 12-04-2009, 10:17 AM
"Lucian @ lastdot.org"

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Andrew <andy.allen@virgin.net> wrote:
> I've just installed a beta version of skype in CentOS 5.3 and everything
> seems fine - the mic is working OK as I can hear it through the speakers
> (feedback). Problem is I can't get the mic to actually work with skype
> (eg with skype call testing service) - it may be that one of the many
> settings is incorrect - has anybody else had this problem and got any
> suggestions please?
>
> Andy

Also, do the test with a mixer open (aumix etc) and see if the bars
are moving. igain is especially important, it should not be 0 when you
talk.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Andrew

> Also, do the test with a mixer open (aumix etc) and see if the bars
> are moving. igain is especially important, it should not be 0 when you
> talk.

Thanks, but how do I open the mixer to see the bars? There doesn't seem
to be any such function in the beta version of skype which I'm using
(which by the way worked absolutely fine with CentOS 5.0).

Andy

Old 12-04-2009, 06:33 PM

>> Also, do the test with a mixer open (aumix etc) and see if the bars
>> are moving. igain is especially important, it should not be 0 when you
>> talk.
>
> Thanks, but how do I open the mixer to see the bars? There doesn't seem
> to be any such function in the beta version of skype which I'm using
> (which by the way worked absolutely fine with CentOS 5.0).

I think he meant to use a mixer program, like aumix, or audacity, etc.

mark

Old 12-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Eduardo Grosclaude

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Andrew <andy.allen@virgin.net> wrote:

>> Also, do the test with a mixer open (aumix etc) and see if the bars
>> are moving. igain is especially important, it should not be 0 when you
>> talk.
>
> Thanks, but how do I open the mixer to see the bars? There doesn't seem
> to be any such function in the beta version of skype which I'm using
> (which by the way worked absolutely fine with CentOS 5.0).

Launch a text console and try 'alsamixer'.

--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue

Old 12-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Andrew

On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 16:33 -0300, Eduardo Grosclaude wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Andrew <andy.allen@virgin.net> wrote:
> >

> >> Also, do the test with a mixer open (aumix etc) and see if the bars
> >> are moving. igain is especially important, it should not be 0 when you
> >> talk.
> >
> > Thanks, but how do I open the mixer to see the bars? There doesn't seem
> > to be any such function in the beta version of skype which I'm using
> > (which by the way worked absolutely fine with CentOS 5.0).
>
> Launch a text console and try 'alsamixer'.

Thanks for that - one more thing regarding skype and dependency
packages. I installed qt4 because I thought skype needed it - however,
should I now remove qt4 and perhaps start again with the static version
of skype (Niki Kovacs email 3 Dec) - if so, do I need to reinstall any
other packages to 'restore' the system?

Andy

Old 12-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Mathieu Baudier

> (feedback). Problem is I can't get the mic to actually work with skype
> (eg with skype call testing service) - it may be that one of the many
> settings is incorrect - has anybody else had this problem and got any

I got it to work (Skype beta static on CentOS 5.4 x86_64) by playing
with "Capture" in the volume control.

(- right click on your volume control applet)
- open volume control
- Edit > Preferences... : check "Capture"
- play with the slider and buttons of the new tab: for example I have
the capture slider to max and both buttons active (no red cross)

Also make sure the Front Mic (or equivalent) is active in the main
"Playback" tab.