FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Charles E Campbell Jr
 
Default Getting EXTERN.h, perl.h, etc

Hello:

I have a Fedora Core 11 system at home (Centos 5.2 at work). I'd like
to build vim with huge and perl. This works under Centos, but fails at
home: no EXTERN.h or perl.h (and, presumably, other things). So: is
there a yum package I should be downloading, and if so, which one?
(both the home computer and the work computer are 64-bit systems)

Thank you,
Chip Campbell

--
someday I'll have a good signature, I'm sure of it...

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Christoph Maser
 
Default Getting EXTERN.h, perl.h, etc

Am Donnerstag, den 03.12.2009, 18:43 +0100 schrieb Charles E Campbell
Jr:
> Hello:
>
> I have a Fedora Core 11 system at home (Centos 5.2 at work). I'd like
> to build vim with huge and perl. This works under Centos, but fails at
> home: no EXTERN.h or perl.h (and, presumably, other things). So: is
> there a yum package I should be downloading, and if so, which one?
> (both the home computer and the work computer are 64-bit systems)
>
> Thank you,
> Chip Campbell
>

The command:
yum provides "*/$filename"

will tell you wich packages provide a certain file

Chris


financial.com AG

Munich head office/Hauptsitz München: Maria-Probst-Str. 19 | 80939 München | Germany
Frankfurt branch office/Niederlassung Frankfurt: Messeturm | Friedrich-Ebert-Anlage 49 | 60327 Frankfurt | Germany
Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach
Supervisory board/Aufsichtsrat: Dr. Dr. Ernst zur Linden (chairman/Vorsitzender)
Register court/Handelsregister: Munich – HRB 128 972 | Sales tax ID number/St.Nr.: DE205 370 553
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Charles E Campbell Jr
 
Default Getting EXTERN.h, perl.h, etc

Christoph Maser wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 03.12.2009, 18:43 +0100 schrieb Charles E Campbell
> Jr:
>
>> Hello:
>>
>> I have a Fedora Core 11 system at home (Centos 5.2 at work). I'd like
>> to build vim with huge and perl. This works under Centos, but fails at
>> home: no EXTERN.h or perl.h (and, presumably, other things). So: is
>> there a yum package I should be downloading, and if so, which one?
>> (both the home computer and the work computer are 64-bit systems)
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Chip Campbell
>>
>>
>
> The command:
> yum provides "*/$filename"
>
> will tell you wich packages provide a certain file
>

Thanks -- I'll try it out tonight at home. However, I note that trying
it on my Centos machine yields:

$ yum provides '*/EXTERN.h'
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Error: Caching enabled but no local cache of
//var/cache/yum/addons/filelists.xml.gz from addons

So I'm trying

yum makecache

and then

yum provides "*/EXTERN.h"
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror

(works!)

Thank you,
Chip Campbell

--
someday I'll have a good signature, I'm sure of it...

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Bill Campbell
 
Default Getting EXTERN.h, perl.h, etc

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
>Christoph Maser wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, den 03.12.2009, 18:43 +0100 schrieb Charles E Campbell
>> Jr:
>>
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I have a Fedora Core 11 system at home (Centos 5.2 at work). I'd like
>>> to build vim with huge and perl. This works under Centos, but fails at
>>> home: no EXTERN.h or perl.h (and, presumably, other things). So: is
>>> there a yum package I should be downloading, and if so, which one?
>>> (both the home computer and the work computer are 64-bit systems)
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Chip Campbell
>>>
>>>
>>
>> The command:
>> yum provides "*/$filename"
>>
>> will tell you wich packages provide a certain file
>>
>
>Thanks -- I'll try it out tonight at home. However, I note that trying
>it on my Centos machine yields:
>
>$ yum provides '*/EXTERN.h'
>Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
>Error: Caching enabled but no local cache of
>//var/cache/yum/addons/filelists.xml.gz from addons

If I remember correctly, EXTERN.h file is often something that
may be package dependent containing something like:

#undef EXT
#undef INIT
#define EXT extern
#define INIT(x)

Perl distributions generally have an EXTERN.h and perl.h file
that is used during the perl build process.

Bill
--
INTERNET: bill@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
URL: http://www.celestial.com/ PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

What good fortune for governments that the people do not think.
-- Adolf Hitler
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:03 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org