Old 12-03-2009, 01:55 AM
Scott Ehrlich

Default LDAP for central authentication?

I have the following on a network:

1) RHEL 5.0 Server acting as NIS and Samba domain controller

2) CentOS 5.x machines on NIS network

3) Win XP machines on Samba domain

When I create an account for someone, I need to first type adduser
new_person -d /home/new_person then passwd new_person, then cd /var/yp
and make. * *Then smbpasswd -a new_person. * Thus, two different
databases.

On another network, I have separate XP and Linux (CentOS 5.x, RHEL
5.x, and Suse) systems. * No Samba, no NIS. * Can I still set up a
central LDAP directory for a single account database?

For the NIS+Samba case, can I merge both credential files into a
central database using LDAP? * I would also want to control password
length, complexity, aging, and other things.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks.

Scott

Old 12-03-2009, 06:16 PM
"Gary L. Greene, Jr."

On Wednesday 02 December 2009 6:55:15 pm Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I have the following on a network:
>
> 1) RHEL 5.0 Server acting as NIS and Samba domain controller
>
> 2) CentOS 5.x machines on NIS network
>
> 3) Win XP machines on Samba domain
>

> When I create an account for someone, I need to first type adduser
> new_person -d /home/new_person then passwd new_person, then cd /var/yp
> and make. Then smbpasswd -a new_person. Thus, two different
> databases.
>

> On another network, I have separate XP and Linux (CentOS 5.x, RHEL
> 5.x, and Suse) systems. No Samba, no NIS. Can I still set up a
> central LDAP directory for a single account database?
>

> For the NIS+Samba case, can I merge both credential files into a
> central database using LDAP? I would also want to control password
> length, complexity, aging, and other things.
>
> What is the best way to do this?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Scott

In your case, you should look at samba with the LDAP backend. This will allow
all data to be in LDAP for the non-Windows boxes, and the Windows clients
would treat it as an NT4 styled domain.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
IT Operations

Old 12-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Alan McKay

> In your case, you should look at samba with the LDAP backend. This will allow
> all data to be in LDAP for the non-Windows boxes, and the Windows clients
> would treat it as an NT4 styled domain.

OK, I'm just really new at Centos-DS, but it looks to me like it will
simplify this task for you. I just finally got it set up, and
authentication working for Linux SSH login, as well as Apache. This
is all really easy stuff, now that I know how to do it. Even if it
did take me a week or more to figure out how to get here :-)

But in browsing around inn the Centos-DS admin tool, it seems to have
a whole whack of NT Domain stuff built in. And I see HOWTOs out
there for Samba.
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation#Howtos

You should join the 389-ds mailing list.

I have not yet jumped into any of the NT stuff, but I'll be going there soon.

cheers,
-Alan