Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Niki Kovacs

Default Skype version for CentOS 5.3

Andrew a écrit :
> Which is the best version of skype to install in CentOS 5.3? skype.i586
> 2.0.0.72-fc5 from the skype repo or skype 2.1.0.47-fc10.i586.rpm from
> the 'skype for linux beta' downloads section of the skype website?

I'm using the static version, which works fine. I have an install script
for it, see below. Download the tarball and put it in /tmp, then run the
script as root. Only thing you'll miss is a correct .desktop file, which
comes from another script here.

Cheers,

Niki Kovacs

#!/bin/bash
#
# install-skype.sh

set -x

VERSION=2.1.0.47

# Clean up old Skype install
rm -rf /usr/share/skype
rm -f /usr/bin/skype
rm -f /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop
rm -f /etc/dbus-1/system.d/skype.conf

cd /tmp

rm -rf skype_static-$VERSION

if [ ! -f skype_static-$VERSION.tar.bz2 ]; then
wget -c
http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-beta-static/skype_static-$VERSION.tar.bz2
fi

tar xvjf skype_static-$VERSION.tar.bz2
cd skype_static-$VERSION

mkdir /usr/share/skype
mv avatars/ icons/ lang/ sounds/ /usr/share/skype/
mv skype /usr/bin/
mv skype.conf /etc/dbus-1/system.d/
touch /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop

cd ../
rm -rf skype_static-$VERSION

exit

Old 12-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Niki Kovacs

Niki Kovacs a écrit :
> Andrew a écrit :
>> Which is the best version of skype to install in CentOS 5.3? skype.i586
>> 2.0.0.72-fc5 from the skype repo or skype 2.1.0.47-fc10.i586.rpm from
>> the 'skype for linux beta' downloads section of the skype website?
>>

> I'm using the static version, which works fine. I have an install script
> for it, see below. Download the tarball and put it in /tmp, then run the
> script as root.

... or, even better, just launch the script. Forgot I put that wget line
in it.

)

Old 12-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Andrew

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 00:24 +0100, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Andrew a écrit :
> > Which is the best version of skype to install in CentOS 5.3? skype.i586
> > 2.0.0.72-fc5 from the skype repo or skype 2.1.0.47-fc10.i586.rpm from
> > the 'skype for linux beta' downloads section of the skype website?
> >

> I'm using the static version, which works fine. I have an install script
> for it, see below. Download the tarball and put it in /tmp, then run the
> script as root. Only thing you'll miss is a correct .desktop file, which
> comes from another script here.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki Kovacs
>

> #!/bin/bash
> #
> # install-skype.sh
>
> set -x
>
> VERSION=2.1.0.47
>
> # Clean up old Skype install
> rm -rf /usr/share/skype
> rm -f /usr/bin/skype
> rm -f /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop
> rm -f /etc/dbus-1/system.d/skype.conf
>
> cd /tmp
>
> rm -rf skype_static-$VERSION
>
> if [ ! -f skype_static-$VERSION.tar.bz2 ]; then
> wget -c
> http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-beta-static/skype_static-$VERSION.tar.bz2
> fi
>
> tar xvjf skype_static-$VERSION.tar.bz2
> cd skype_static-$VERSION
>
> mkdir /usr/share/skype
> mv avatars/ icons/ lang/ sounds/ /usr/share/skype/
> mv skype /usr/bin/
> mv skype.conf /etc/dbus-1/system.d/
> touch /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop
>
> cd ../
> rm -rf skype_static-$VERSION
>
> exit

Many thanks for that, it looks very useful. But may I just ask what's
wrong with using yum install skype from the skype repo?

Andy

Old 12-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Niki Kovacs

Andrew a écrit :

> Many thanks for that, it looks very useful. But may I just ask what's
> wrong with using yum install skype from the skype repo?

I didn't know there was a Skype repo for CentOS. Some time ago Skype had
RPMS for CentOS, but they seem to have been abandoned. As for the Fedora
packages, well, Fedora is not CentOS. I do use Fedora packages from time
to time, but then, I always take the SRPM and rebuild it on CentOS.
Which isn't exactly feasible with a closed source app |

Cheers,

Niki

Old 12-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Mathieu Baudier

> Many thanks for that, it looks very useful. But may I just ask what's
> wrong with using yum install skype from the skype repo?

The yum repo doesn't seem to be maintained anymore.

I use the latest static version on CentOS 5.4 x86_64 and it works fine.
I just untar it in /opt, ln -s to /opt/skype and create a launcher on
my Desktop.

Mathieu