Old 12-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Alexander Georgiev

Default Tomcat authentication via PAM (or other system methods)?

2009/12/2 Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com>:
> Is there a way to coax java services running under tomcat to use the
> system authentication methods set up through PAM? In my case, this would
> be users in the local passwd file or through smb to a windows domain.
> I've added mod_auth_pam to get this effect with apache but would like to
> also handle java web services.

java and J2EE (I think also tomcat) use JAAS for authentication
purposes. JAAS is like PAM for java applications, in fact JAAS
specification is based on PAM specification. There must be JAAS
modules that authenticate against pam:

http://www.google.bg/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=jaas+pam+module