Old 12-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Rudi Ahlers

Default (re)load new kernel with rebooting host node?

Hi all,

Is it possible to reload the dom0 / host node's kernel with a newer
one, without rebooting the server? I know kexec can do something like
this for security patches, but I don't know much about kexec, and I
don't want to mess up a production server either. So, has anyone done
something like this before? I need to load a new kernel for one of the
domU's iptables to work, but don't want to reboot the whole server and
cause downtime for the other domU's.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 12-02-2009, 07:28 PM
"JS"

---

You're a lot better off go over to the Linux Kernel Devel site. AFIK kexec
can only do this on real hardware. I think your better off scheduling
downtime for the server. Although kexec does have a site page.

John

Old 12-02-2009, 07:36 PM
"Mathew S. McCarrell"

*http://www.ksplice.com/

--
Mathew S. McCarrell
Clarkson University '10

mccarrms@gmail.com

mccarrms@clarkson.edu
1-518-314-9214

Old 12-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:28 PM, JS <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:

> You're a lot better off go over to the Linux Kernel Devel site. AFIK kexec
> can only do this on real hardware. I think your better off scheduling
> downtime for the server. Although kexec does have a site page.
>
> John

John, that's what I want todo I want to reload the kernel on the
"real hardware" server

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers