FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Chuck Munro
 
Default Small proxy appliance hardware

I need to configure a small proxy appliance which doesn't require a lot
of CPU power. I'm looking for any warnings this group may have
regarding CentOS-5 on the following:

- Acer AspireRevo 3610 (Atom CPU)
- Dell Inspiron 537s (Celeron)
- Any other small machines you might recommend (UL approved)

I need to implement dual NICs, and for the Dell it should be no problem
finding a low-profile 3Com or Intel adapter, but for the Acer I'll need
to use one of those USB wired network dongle things.

Does anyone have recommendations for a USB dongle that is fully
automatic (regarding speed and duplex negotiation) supported by CentOS?
Gigabit speed is not required.

Any other compatibility issues with the above machines?

Normally I'd simply build something from components and squeeze it into
a small box, but in this case I need something with UL/CSA/CE approvals,
which lets out homebrew hardware.

Many thanks in advance!


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 PM
"Neil Aggarwal"
 
Default Small proxy appliance hardware

> I need to configure a small proxy appliance which doesn't
> require a lot of CPU power
> I need something with UL/CSA/CE approvals

I recommend you look at the Supermicro 5015A-H:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-H.cfm?typ=H

The server is RoHS compliant and the power supply has
these approvals:
USA - UL listed, FCC
Canada - CUL listed
EN 60950/IEC 60950-Compliant
Europe/CE Mark
Germany - TUV Certified

This would be more flexible than anything else. It already
has ethernets and there would not be any compatability
issues.

I hope it helps,
Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net
CentOS 5.4 VPS with unmetered bandwidth only $25/month!
No overage charges, 7 day free trial, Google Checkout accepted

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-02-2009, 06:04 PM
"Jason Pyeron"
 
Default Small proxy appliance hardware

> -----Original Message-----
> From: centos-bounces@centos.org
> [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On Behalf Of Neil Aggarwal
> Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 13:54
> To: 'CentOS mailing list'
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Small proxy appliance hardware
>
> > I need to configure a small proxy appliance which doesn't require a
> > lot of CPU power I need something with UL/CSA/CE approvals
>
> I recommend you look at the Supermicro 5015A-H:
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-H.
cfm?typ=H
>
> The server is RoHS compliant and the power supply has these approvals:
> USA - UL listed, FCC
> Canada - CUL listed
> EN 60950/IEC 60950-Compliant
> Europe/CE Mark
> Germany - TUV Certified
>
> This would be more flexible than anything else. It already
> has ethernets and there would not be any compatability issues.

The Realtek 8111C gigabit controller is supported by RH/Centos? Even at install
time?

>
> I hope it helps,
> Neil
>
> --
> Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net CentOS
> 5.4 VPS with unmetered bandwidth only $25/month!
> No overage charges, 7 day free trial, Google Checkout accepted
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>



--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
- -
- Jason Pyeron PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant 10 West 24th Street #100 -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333 Baltimore, Maryland 21218 -
- -
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
This message is copyright PD Inc, subject to license 20080407P00.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-02-2009, 06:17 PM
"nate"
 
Default Small proxy appliance hardware

Jason Pyeron wrote:

> The Realtek 8111C gigabit controller is supported by RH/Centos? Even at
> install
> time?

I avoid Realtek for everything myself..

Another option may be
http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015M-MR.cfm

Uses a dual core pentium D, and dual Intel Gigabit NICs, and you
get optional IPMI for remote management as well, similar half
depth chassis.

Only downside is you have to crack open the chassis to swap the disk,
though if you use CF you could have your system builder make you
a system with a CF->SATA adapter in the available I/O slot so
the CF card is easily accessible from the outside of the chassis.

Rackable/SGI products are nicer in that they have better management
and LCD screens on their half depth stuff

http://www.sgi.com/products/servers/half_depth/1u_intel_2p.html

But I doubt they want to talk to anyone that wants to order just one.

nate


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-02-2009, 06:52 PM
"Neil Aggarwal"
 
Default Small proxy appliance hardware

> The Realtek 8111C gigabit controller is supported by
> RH/Centos? Even at install
> time?

I have used many different Supermicro servers and
never had any problems installing CentOS and
everything works out of the box.

Looking at the wiki page:
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b
It looks like sometimes it works and other times it
requires a custom driver.

I did not realize there was a potential issue with that
server. I wish I had one to test to say for sure.

Thanks for the heads up!

Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net
CentOS 5.4 VPS with unmetered bandwidth only $25/month!
No overage charges, 7 day free trial, Google Checkout accepted

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-02-2009, 07:29 PM
"Jason Pyeron"
 
Default Small proxy appliance hardware

> -----Original Message-----
> From: centos-bounces@centos.org
> [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On Behalf Of Neil Aggarwal
> Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 14:53
> To: 'CentOS mailing list'
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Small proxy appliance hardware
>
> > The Realtek 8111C gigabit controller is supported by
> RH/Centos? Even
> > at install time?
>
> I have used many different Supermicro servers and never had
> any problems installing CentOS and everything works out of the box.
>
> Looking at the wiki page:
> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/RealTe
> kRTL8111b
> It looks like sometimes it works and other times it requires
> a custom driver.
>
> I did not realize there was a potential issue with that
> server. I wish I had one to test to say for sure.
>
> Thanks for the heads up!

I wish you had tested and found no problems... Back to the search.

>
> Neil
>
> --
> Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net CentOS
> 5.4 VPS with unmetered bandwidth only $25/month!
> No overage charges, 7 day free trial, Google Checkout accepted
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>



--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
- -
- Jason Pyeron PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant 10 West 24th Street #100 -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333 Baltimore, Maryland 21218 -
- -
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
This message is copyright PD Inc, subject to license 20080407P00.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Chuck Munro
 
Default Small proxy appliance hardware

Regarding a small proxy appliance, my thanks to those who responded
either on this list or by direct email.

We are going to get one of the little Acer AspireRevo 3610 boxes and
give it a try. It's small, quiet, runs cool, and has more than enough
resources to handle our CentOS proxy application. It's a shame that we
have to trash the Windows-7 install (a waste of money) but that's life.

The only unanswered question is with regard to an external USB wired
network adapter, so we'll have to go by the data on the various
manufacturers' web sites about Linux support. Has anyone tried the
Belkin USB2/Gbit, the D-Link DUB-E100 or the Linksys USB300M devices?
Which adapter chips to they use (in other words, which driver)?



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:55 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org