Old 12-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Andrew

Default CentOS 5.3 - changing display settings

I've just installed CentOS 5.3 on my desktop and need to change the
installed display setting from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 (more suitable for
my monitor). When I try this on the Display Settings tab, I get the
message:

"Display settings changed
You need to log out and restart the X server for the changes to take
effect.
Configuration was written to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, original configuration
saved as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup."

Trouble is, I don't know how to restart the X server apart from
rebooting the computer, but that has no effect and the display settings
remain unchanged! Any help appreciated,

Andy

Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Eero Volotinen

Quoting Andrew <andy.allen@virgin.net>:

> I've just installed CentOS 5.3 on my desktop and need to change the
> installed display setting from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 (more suitable for
> my monitor). When I try this on the Display Settings tab, I get the
> message:
>
> "Display settings changed
> You need to log out and restart the X server for the changes to take
> effect.
> Configuration was written to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, original configuration
> saved as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup."
>
> Trouble is, I don't know how to restart the X server apart from
> rebooting the computer, but that has no effect and the display settings
> remain unchanged! Any help appreciated,

control-alt-backspace

--
Eero

Old 12-02-2009, 09:49 AM
John Doe

From: Andrew <andy.allen@virgin.net>
> I've just installed CentOS 5.3 on my desktop and need to change the
> installed display setting from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 (more suitable for
> my monitor). When I try this on the Display Settings tab, I get the
> message:
> "Display settings changed
> You need to log out and restart the X server for the changes to take
> effect.
> Configuration was written to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, original configuration
> saved as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup."
> Trouble is, I don't know how to restart the X server apart from
> rebooting the computer, but that has no effect and the display settings
> remain unchanged! Any help appreciated,

Checked the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file...?
Maybe you could try to add:

Section "Screen"
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

JD

Old 12-02-2009, 11:48 AM
mark

Andrew wrote:
> I've just installed CentOS 5.3 on my desktop and need to change the
> installed display setting from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 (more suitable for
> my monitor). When I try this on the Display Settings tab, I get the
> message:
>
> "Display settings changed
> You need to log out and restart the X server for the changes to take
> effect.
> Configuration was written to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, original configuration
> saved as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup."
>
> Trouble is, I don't know how to restart the X server apart from
> rebooting the computer, but that has no effect and the display settings
> remain unchanged! Any help appreciated,

What runlevel is the system at - 3, or 5? If 3, log out and log back in. If 5,
as someone said, you can always do a <ctrl-alt-bkspc>.

Hmmm, wonder if init 3 would work....

mark
--
Headlines: two-thirds of Americans are overweight!
"I have heard it said that you can tell a lot about a country by its

Old 12-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Andrew

> Checked the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file...?
> Maybe you could try to add:
>
> Section "Screen"
> SubSection "Display"
> Modes "1024x768"
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> JD

Thanks,
I've done that and it works brilliantly!

Andy