FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Paul Berger
 
Default Persistent NFS Caching

Has anybody got persistent NFS caching to work after 5.3 update
removed the tech preview?

I have cachesfilesd installed & running and using nfs-utils with fsc
patched back in but it appears to not be working, any pointers?

Regards,
Paul Berger
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Ray Van Dolson
 
Default Persistent NFS Caching

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 05:09:31PM -0600, Paul Berger wrote:
> Has anybody got persistent NFS caching to work after 5.3 update
> removed the tech preview?
>
> I have cachesfilesd installed & running and using nfs-utils with fsc
> patched back in but it appears to not be working, any pointers?

I can't find the link, but I thought the kernel components required for
FS-Cache to function were pulled in the 5.3 kernel...

I'm not sure if they'll be back in 5.5, 6.0 or if I'm completely
mistaken.

I seem to recall the delay being a result of upstream kernel not
accepting the FS-Cache patches (which I believe they did do recently in
2.6.30).

Ray
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-02-2009, 01:08 PM
James Pearson
 
Default Persistent NFS Caching

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 05:09:31PM -0600, Paul Berger wrote:
>
>>Has anybody got persistent NFS caching to work after 5.3 update
>>removed the tech preview?
>>
>>I have cachesfilesd installed & running and using nfs-utils with fsc
>>patched back in but it appears to not be working, any pointers?
>
> I can't find the link, but I thought the kernel components required for
> FS-Cache to function were pulled in the 5.3 kernel...

<https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=481579>

> I'm not sure if they'll be back in 5.5, 6.0 or if I'm completely
> mistaken.
>
> I seem to recall the delay being a result of upstream kernel not
> accepting the FS-Cache patches (which I believe they did do recently in
> 2.6.30).

The kernel patches that were in the earlier 5.x kernels are now a bit
out-of-date and IMHO not really suitable for production use.

There has recently been a number of new FS-Cache patches/improvements
that will be in the 2.6.32 mainline kernel

I doubt FS-Cache will be back in future 5.x kernels - my guess is that
it will be in the 6.x kernels

James Pearson
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Paul Berger
 
Default Persistent NFS Caching

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM, James Pearson
<james-p@moving-picture.com> wrote:
> Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 05:09:31PM -0600, Paul Berger wrote:
>>
>>>Has anybody got persistent NFS caching to work after 5.3 update
>>>removed the tech preview?
>>>
>>>I have cachesfilesd installed & running and using nfs-utils with fsc
>>>patched back in but it appears to not be working, any pointers?
>>
>> I can't find the link, but I thought the kernel components required for
>> FS-Cache to function were pulled in the 5.3 kernel...
>
> <https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=481579>
>
>> I'm not sure if they'll be back in 5.5, 6.0 or if I'm completely
>> mistaken.
>>
>> I seem to recall the delay being a result of upstream kernel not
>> accepting the FS-Cache patches (which I believe they did do recently in
>> 2.6.30).
>
> The kernel patches that were in the earlier 5.x kernels are now a bit
> out-of-date and IMHO not really suitable for production use.
>
> There has recently been a number of new FS-Cache patches/improvements
> that will be in the 2.6.32 mainline kernel
>
> I doubt FS-Cache will be back in future 5.x kernels - my guess is that
> it will be in the 6.x kernels
>
> James Pearson

I read a CentOS bugzilla http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3853 that
indicated that the functionality may exist in the kernels yet, but
just the user space tools were missing. After doing some testing, the
persistent caching does not appear to be in the kernels, either that
or process outlined in the bugzilla entry and
http://people.redhat.com/steved/fscache/docs/HOWTO.txt are missing
something.

I also tried the Centos Plus kernel to see if it's be enabled in there
and the results appear to be the same.

Apparently I need to use either Fedora 12 if I want to use this
feature now, use CentOS 5.2 and not update as waiting till CentOS 6 is
not really an option. I really hate using bleeding edge and not
updating and running with packages with know security vulnerabilities
(even on our internal networkd) seems like a poor idea. ::sigh::

Regards,
Paul Berger
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-02-2009, 03:09 PM
James Pearson
 
Default Persistent NFS Caching

Paul Berger wrote:

> I read a CentOS bugzilla http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3853 that
> indicated that the functionality may exist in the kernels yet, but
> just the user space tools were missing. After doing some testing, the
> persistent caching does not appear to be in the kernels, either that
> or process outlined in the bugzilla entry and
> http://people.redhat.com/steved/fscache/docs/HOWTO.txt are missing
> something.

Looks like that CentOS bug listing is not quite right - the FS-Cache
code is still in the 5.[34] kernels (and the fscache.ko module is
available), but the 'fsc' mount option in the nfs client module has been
disabled - from the kernel changelog:

* Sat Sep 13 2008 Don Zickus <dzickus@redhat.com> [2.6.18-115.el5]
...
- [nfs] disable the fsc mount option (Steve Dickson ) [447474]

> I also tried the Centos Plus kernel to see if it's be enabled in there
> and the results appear to be the same.
>
> Apparently I need to use either Fedora 12 if I want to use this
> feature now, use CentOS 5.2 and not update as waiting till CentOS 6 is
> not really an option. I really hate using bleeding edge and not
> updating and running with packages with know security vulnerabilities
> (even on our internal networkd) seems like a poor idea. ::sigh::

Theoretically, you could rebuild a more recent CentOS 5.[34] kernel with
the 'linux-2.6-nfs-disable-the-fsc-mount-option.patch' commented out in
the spec file - but as I mentioned previously, the FS-Cache code that is
in these kernels is now quite old (and buggy).

If you really need to use FS-Cache now, then you need to use something
like Fedora 12 or, as I have recently done, use CentOS 5 with a recent
mainline kernel (2.6.32-rc8-git4 has up to date FS-Cache patches) and a
more recent nfs-utils version - see:

<http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cachefs/2009-October/msg00002.html>

James Pearson

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:26 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org