Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Ryan Lynch

Default best practises for avoiding to write passwords in shell scripts (example sqlplus from Oracle)

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 16:48, Sven Aluoor <aluoor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I have here a CentOS box where i need to setup cronjob (with session
> to remote Oracle instance). On the remote DB i have no access, expect
> limited user.
>
> How to avoid putting passwords in shell scripts?
>
> The solution doesn't need to be perfect, only better than plain text
> passwords in scripts.
> Mostly remote host only support password authentication (no
> certificates and so on).

I'm a little unclear on exactly what you're asking. Do you want the
job to run in the crontab of the remote (Oracle DB) host, or in the
crontab of your own (local) machine?

Also, how are you accessing the Oracle DB? Are you running a DB client
on your local machine and connecting to the DB over the network? Or
are you logging into the remote host (with SSH, telnet, etc.) and then
opening a local DB connection?

-Ryan