Old 12-01-2009, 08:05 AM
James Bensley

Default Unable to share directory via Samba?

So I went to System > Administration > Server Settings > Samba and
added a folder to share and initially set it to guest access to get
things going.

I couldn't access this one and only share on this server with guest
access from either my Windows laptop (XP Pro SP3) or a Leopard server
(10.5.8) so I changed the settings to use user authentication and
added my local user details (this is a stand alone file server with
one user and the root user running CentOS 5.4).

I made sure I hadn't put the entries in iptables incorrect by stopping
iptables (sudo /etc/init.d/iptables stop, which executed just fine).
SELinux kept popping up so I disabled that and restarted the server
also. So now with no iptables nor SELinux enabled flicking between
guest and user access I still can't access the share (I have also
tried authenticating as root to no avail), my Windows and Mac test
machines are erroring out saying they don't have permissions to access
the share (I am an administrator on both machines so its not a local
permissions issue).

There are no firewall restrictions between my test machines and the
CentOS server as I would even get prompted for authentication so
that's not a problem and my test machines work fine because I can
mount smb shares on other files servers in the same subnet as the
CentOS server, what's going on?

Ideas are welcome! Thanks for reading...
James

Pablo Picasso - "Computers are useless. They can only give you
answers." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/pablo_picasso.html

Old 12-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Per Qvindesland

Hi

What does testparm give you?

Regards

Per

Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Eero Volotinen

Quoting James Bensley <jwbensley@gmail.com>:

> So I went to System > Administration > Server Settings > Samba and
> added a folder to share and initially set it to guest access to get
> things going.
>
> I couldn't access this one and only share on this server with guest
> access from either my Windows laptop (XP Pro SP3) or a Leopard server
> (10.5.8) so I changed the settings to use user authentication and
> added my local user details (this is a stand alone file server with
> one user and the root user running CentOS 5.4).
>
> I made sure I hadn't put the entries in iptables incorrect by stopping
> iptables (sudo /etc/init.d/iptables stop, which executed just fine).
> SELinux kept popping up so I disabled that and restarted the server
> also. So now with no iptables nor SELinux enabled flicking between
> guest and user access I still can't access the share (I have also
> tried authenticating as root to no avail), my Windows and Mac test
> machines are erroring out saying they don't have permissions to access
> the share (I am an administrator on both machines so its not a local
> permissions issue).
>
> There are no firewall restrictions between my test machines and the
> CentOS server as I would even get prompted for authentication so
> that's not a problem and my test machines work fine because I can
> mount smb shares on other files servers in the same subnet as the
> CentOS server, what's going on?
>
> Ideas are welcome! Thanks for reading...

Get output from testparm and attach it (on text format) to this message.

--
Eero

Old 12-01-2009, 08:17 AM
James Bensley

The server is called Mars with one user, Mars!

[mars@mars ~]$ testparm
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[hestia]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]
workgroup = MY GROUP
server string = Mars
passdb backend = tdbsam
guest account = mars
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
guest ok = Yes
cups options = raw

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only = No
browseable = No

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = Yes
browseable = No

[hestia]
path = /backups/hestia
read only = No
[mars@mars ~]$

James

Jonathan Swift - "May you live every day of your life." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/jonathan_swift.html

Old 12-01-2009, 08:39 AM
James Bensley

This is the repeating entry from my smbd.log from every time I try to
mount the share via samba;

[2009/12/01 09:32:59, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(1224)
getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected

I had read online that this can be caused by samba not making its mind
up about weather to use TCP ports 139 or 445 so I set it statically
from within the smb config file by using "smb ports = 445" and "smb
ports 139" restart after each change and checking if this had fixed my
problem but it has not.

James

Samuel Goldwyn - "I'm willing to admit that I may not always be
right, but I am never wrong." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/samuel_goldwyn.html

Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 AM
James Bensley

Hmm some progress has been made.

I removed the smb.conf file and wrote a new one manually but for
some reason it only wants to let me connect as "Guest" and not a real
user with some privileges?

[global]
workgroup = my group
server string = Mars
netbios name = Mars
security = SHARE
load printers = no
encrypt passwords = yes
guest ok = no

[home]
path = /home/mars
writeable = yes
valid users = mars
public = no
available = yes
printable = no

James

Joan Crawford - "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar.
Everything I earn, I spend." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/joan_crawford.html

Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Benjamin Donnachie

2009/12/1 James Bensley <jwbensley@gmail.com>:
> I removed the smb.conf file and wrote a new *one manually but *for
> some reason it only wants to let me connect as "Guest" and not a real
> user with some privileges?

Have you got SELinux enabled?

Ben

Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
James Bensley

No I haven't but thanks for having a guess xD

James

Ogden Nash - "The trouble with a kitten is that when it grows up,
it's always a cat." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/o/ogden_nash.html

Old 12-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Benjamin Donnachie

2009/12/1 James Bensley <jwbensley@gmail.com>:
> No I haven't but thanks for having a guess xD

Worth a shot! :-) I've wasted far too much time in the past on a new
samba server only to realise I'd forgotten to disable SELinux.

What permissions do you have set on /home/mars?

Ben

Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Eero Volotinen

Quoting James Bensley <jwbensley@gmail.com>:

> Hmm some progress has been made.
>
> I removed the smb.conf file and wrote a new one manually but for
> some reason it only wants to let me connect as "Guest" and not a real
> user with some privileges?

try with log level = X
(Sets the amount of log/debug messages that are sent to the log file.
0 is none, 3 is considerable.)

and then read the logs.

--
Eero