Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 AM
Lists

Default send existing root email to another user

Hi all,

I'm running Centos 5.4
I have a pile of emails in my root users /var/spool/mail/root file
I need to send this all to another address (preferrably external but
local would possibly do)

I have searched a lot but can't find any way to do this. I have set it
so future emails get forwarded to my external address but I also need to
shift the existing emails.

Thanks
Kate

Old 12-01-2009, 01:39 AM
"Mathew S. McCarrell"

I have a pile of emails in my root users /var/spool/mail/root file

I need to send this all to another address (preferrably external but

local would possibly do)

I have searched a lot but can't find any way to do this. I have set it

so future emails get forwarded to my external address but I also need to

shift the existing emails.

Kate,

You need to modify /etc/aliases to have something like:

root: * * * * *user@gmail.com

You should then run /usr/bin/newaliases to make these changes active.

Matt

--
Mathew S. McCarrell
Clarkson University '10

mccarrms@gmail.com
mccarrms@clarkson.edu

1-518-314-9214

Old 12-01-2009, 01:42 AM
Lists

Mathew S. McCarrell wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Lists <lists@rheel.co.nz
> <mailto:lists@rheel.co.nz>> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running Centos 5.4
> I have a pile of emails in my root users /var/spool/mail/root file
> I need to send this all to another address (preferrably external but
> local would possibly do)
>
> I have searched a lot but can't find any way to do this. I have set it
> so future emails get forwarded to my external address but I also
> need to
> shift the existing emails.
>

> Kate,
>
> You need to modify /etc/aliases to have something like:
>
> root: user@gmail.com <mailto:user@gmail.com>
>

> You should then run /usr/bin/newaliases to make these changes active||.
>
> Matt
Hi Matt,

I have done this and it works for new mail arriving but I need to onsend
the existing mail.

Thanks
Kate

Old 12-01-2009, 01:43 AM
Larry Vaden

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Lists <lists@rheel.co.nz> wrote:

> I have done this and it works for new mail arriving but I need to onsend
> the existing mail.

IIRC procmail can do this for you.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:48 AM
"Jason Pyeron"

You want to bounce the messages. Tools like Pine can do it throught a fancy UI.
Or you can:

formail -s procmail < mbox

Assuming you set it up to be delivered corectly now.

http://googleit1st.com/search?q=redeliver+mbox

> I have searched a lot but can't find any way to do this. I
> have set it so future emails get forwarded to my external
> address but I also need to shift the existing emails.
>
> Thanks
> Kate

- -
- Jason Pyeron PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant 10 West 24th Street #100 -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333 Baltimore, Maryland 21218 -
- -

Old 12-01-2009, 01:50 AM
"Mathew S. McCarrell"

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Lists <lists@rheel.co.nz> wrote:

> Kate,

> You need to modify /etc/aliases to have something like:

> root: * * * * *user@gmail.com <mailto:user@gmail.com>

> You should then run /usr/bin/newaliases to make these changes active||.

> Matt

Hi Matt,

I have done this and it works for new mail arriving but I need to onsend

the existing mail.

Ah, I misread what you were looking to do.* You should be able to do the following then.

cat /var/spool/mail/root | mail -s "Old Root Emails" user@gmail.com

Hope that helps.
Matt

Old 12-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Lists

<mailto:user@gmail.com>

> You should then run /usr/bin/newaliases to make these changes
active||.

> Matt

Hi Matt,

I have done this and it works for new mail arriving but I need to onsend

the existing mail.

Ah, I misread what you were looking to do.* You should be able to do
the following then.

cat /var/spool/mail/root | mail -s "Old Root Emails" user@gmail.com

Hope that helps.

Matt