FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Niki Kovacs
 
Default Change system-wide default configuration for FF and OO with /etc/skel

Hi,

I'm using a heavily tweaked CentOS 5.4 for desktop installs (here's what
it looks like: http://www.microlinux.fr/captures.html).

For every app I install, I try to configure a sensible default
configuration system-wide for all users. For example, once I found a
nice configuration for XMMS (default skin, loads of plugins, orange On
Screen Display in a nice font, etcetera), I put my whole ~/.xmms in
/etc/skel, so that every new user on the system will have the same
default configuration. I have a script which does that for most of the
applications I install for users. Even my GNOME desktop is heavily
tweaked, and similarly, there's a default /etc/skel/.gconf for this.

Now I have two annoyances remaining: Firefox and OpenOffice.org. When
installing both of these (Firefox from the CentOS repos, OpenOffice.org
from the RPMS contained in openoffice.org's tarball), the default
configuration for each one (in ~/.mozilla and ~/.openoffice.org) takes
no less than 3 MB, which I find a bit puzzling. Since I keep all my
default configurations in an SVN tree, I find this a bit heavy.

For Firefox, I only change a couple of options (like "Close download
manager after finishing downloading" and "always ask where to store a
file"). Similarly, for OpenOffice.org, I change things like
auto-completion (so users won't call me on a sunday morning asking "Why
does it try to finish my sentences?").

I guess the "real" configuration must be some small plain text file. But
then, where? Is there a way not to upload the whole 3 MB of configuration?

Cheers,

Niki
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Robert Heller
 
Default Change system-wide default configuration for FF and OO with /etc/skel

At Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:15:23 +0100 CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org> wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a heavily tweaked CentOS 5.4 for desktop installs (here's what
> it looks like: http://www.microlinux.fr/captures.html).
>
> For every app I install, I try to configure a sensible default
> configuration system-wide for all users. For example, once I found a
> nice configuration for XMMS (default skin, loads of plugins, orange On
> Screen Display in a nice font, etcetera), I put my whole ~/.xmms in
> /etc/skel, so that every new user on the system will have the same
> default configuration. I have a script which does that for most of the
> applications I install for users. Even my GNOME desktop is heavily
> tweaked, and similarly, there's a default /etc/skel/.gconf for this.
>
> Now I have two annoyances remaining: Firefox and OpenOffice.org. When
> installing both of these (Firefox from the CentOS repos, OpenOffice.org
> from the RPMS contained in openoffice.org's tarball), the default
> configuration for each one (in ~/.mozilla and ~/.openoffice.org) takes
> no less than 3 MB, which I find a bit puzzling. Since I keep all my
> default configurations in an SVN tree, I find this a bit heavy.
>
> For Firefox, I only change a couple of options (like "Close download
> manager after finishing downloading" and "always ask where to store a
> file"). Similarly, for OpenOffice.org, I change things like
> auto-completion (so users won't call me on a sunday morning asking "Why
> does it try to finish my sentences?").
>
> I guess the "real" configuration must be some small plain text file. But
> then, where? Is there a way not to upload the whole 3 MB of configuration?

There is a file named 'prefs.js' in the
~/.mozilla/firefox/<mumble>.default/ directory. Here are some other
'magic files' there you might want to 'standardize':

extensions* (some files and a directory): extensions live here
(if there are some 'standard' extensions you want all your
users to have, eg your company's / organization's toolbar)
localstore.rdf: contains things like your toolbar arangements
(if there is some 'standard' settings for your company
/ organization)
places.sqlite: bookmarks (if there is some 'standard' set of
bookmarks)


>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/ -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Niki Kovacs
 
Default Change system-wide default configuration for FF and OO with /etc/skel

Robert Heller a écrit :

>
> There is a file named 'prefs.js' in the
> ~/.mozilla/firefox/<mumble>.default/ directory.

Now this creates another problem. I manually tested this, and it works
ok. But when I try to work with /etc/skel, I have some unexpected
behaviour.

Say I put prefs.js in /etc/skel/.mozilla/firefox/yahonga.default

When I create my user, his ~/.mozilla now has two prefs.js files.

1) in /etc/skel/.mozilla/firefox/yahonga.default

2) in /etc/skel/.mozilla/firefox/yatahongaga.default

Now where does this catwalksonthekeyboard.default directory come from?
What is it possibly good for? And, more interestingly, how can I put my
user preferences under /etc/skel/.mozilla so Firefox actually finds them
without me having to jump through burning loops first?

Cheers,

Niki
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Jim Perrin
 
Default Change system-wide default configuration for FF and OO with /etc/skel

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:

> Now where does this catwalksonthekeyboard.default directory come from?
> What is it possibly good for? And, more interestingly, how can I put my
> user preferences under /etc/skel/.mozilla so Firefox actually finds them
> without me having to jump through burning loops first?


iirc user .mozilla dirs get pulled from
/usr/lib/firefox-<version>/defaults/profile/prefs.js

Not quite as friendly as skel, but you may want to make your mods there.


--
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
George Orwell
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:14 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org