-   -   Repository for clean and safe installation of python2.6 (and other python-software) (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/288224-repository-clean-safe-installation-python2-6-other-python-software.html)

Jim Perrin 11-30-2009 03:24 PM

Repository for clean and safe installation of python2.6 (and other python-software)

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Bernhard Gschaider
<bgschaid_lists@ice-sf.at> wrote:

> a) clean: in other words it should be a RPM
> b) safe: it should not remove the system-python (in order not to break
> * the system-scripts in subtle ways) but be accessible for
> * instance as python2.6 (while python would still be python2.4)

> Before I start rolling my own RPMs: is anyone aware of a repository
> that has such packages? (an added bonus would be if it had RPMs of
> PyQt4, I didn't find those for Centos or RHEL, too)

http://iuscommunity.org/

I've heard good things about this repo, but as with everything else,
use at your own risk. If it eats your dog and runs off with your
girlfriend, I am not responsible.

George Orwell

Bernhard Gschaider 11-30-2009 03:49 PM

Repository for clean and safe installation of python2.6 (and other python-software)

JP> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Bernhard Gschaider
JP> <bgschaid_lists@ice-sf.at> wrote:

>> a) clean: in other words it should be a RPM b) safe: it should
>> not remove the system-python (in order not to break * the
>> system-scripts in subtle ways) but be accessible for * instance
>> as python2.6 (while python would still be python2.4)

>> Before I start rolling my own RPMs: is anyone aware of a
>> repository that has such packages? (an added bonus would be if
>> it had RPMs of PyQt4, I didn't find those for Centos or RHEL,
>> too)

JP> http://iuscommunity.org/

Brilliant. Exactly the kind of information you don't get by googling
around. Thanks

JP> I've heard good things about this repo, but as with everything
JP> else, use at your own risk. If it eats your dog and runs off
JP> with your girlfriend, I am not responsible.

I understand. But if I GET a dog I can hold you resonsible? ;)

Bernhard

Jim Perrin 11-30-2009 04:34 PM

Repository for clean and safe installation of python2.6 (and other python-software)

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Bernhard Gschaider
<bgschaid_lists@ice-sf.at> wrote:
> I understand. But if I GET a dog I can hold you resonsible? ;)

If it's a great dane, then you can hold my dog responsible. I claim
innocence at all times.

George Orwell