Old 11-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Farkas Levente

Default /etc/cron.weekly/99-raid-check

hi,
it's been a few weeks since rhel/centos 5.4 released and there were many
discussion about this new "feature" the weekly raid partition check.
we've got a lot's of server with raid1 system and i already try to
configure them not to send these messages, but i'm not able ie. i
already add to the SKIP_DEVS all of my swap partitions (since i read it
on linux-kernel list that there can be mismatch_cnt even though i still
not understand why?). but even the data partitions (ie. all of my
servers all raid1 partitions) produce this error (ie. ther mismatch_cnt
is never 0 at the weekend). and this cause all of my raid1 partitions
are rebuild during the weekend. and i don't like it:-(
so my questions:
- is it a real bug in the raid1 system?
- is it a real bug in my disk which runs raid (not really believe since
it's dozens of servers)?
- the /etc/cron.weekly/99-raid-check is wrong in rhel/centos-5.4?
or what's the problem?
can someone enlighten me?
thanks in advance.
regards.

--
Levente "Si vis pacem para bellum!"

Old 11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Rob Kampen

Farkas Levente wrote:

[...]

I too run raid 1 on all my CentOS machines and have no such errors -
each machine has 3 or 4 partitions mirrored on two drives, one of which
is swap. I checked 6 of my servers today all fully up-to-date 5.4 and no
issues.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Jancio Wodnik

[...]

Hi. I have this problem on my 2 servers (Both Centos
5.4) - every weekend my raid1 set is rebuild, because*
mismatch_cnt is never 0 at the weekend. What is really going on ? My 1TB disk whith raid1 are rebuild every weekend.

Has anybody make bugzilla this ?

Jancio_wodnik

Old 12-01-2009, 09:06 AM
RedShift

Jancio Wodnik wrote:
> W dniu 30.11.2009 14:08, Farkas Levente pisze:
>> hi,
>> it's been a few weeks since rhel/centos 5.4 released and there were many
>> discussion about this new "feature" the weekly raid partition check.
>> we've got a lot's of server with raid1 system and i already try to
>> configure them not to send these messages, but i'm not able ie. i
>> already add to the SKIP_DEVS all of my swap partitions (since i read it
>> on linux-kernel list that there can be mismatch_cnt even though i still
>> not understand why?). but even the data partitions (ie. all of my
>> servers all raid1 partitions) produce this error (ie. ther mismatch_cnt
>> is never 0 at the weekend). and this cause all of my raid1 partitions
>> are rebuild during the weekend. and i don't like it:-(
>> so my questions:
>> - is it a real bug in the raid1 system?
>> - is it a real bug in my disk which runs raid (not really believe since
>> it's dozens of servers)?
>> - the /etc/cron.weekly/99-raid-check is wrong in rhel/centos-5.4?
>> or what's the problem?
>> can someone enlighten me?
>> thanks in advance.
>> regards.
>>

> Hi. I have this problem on my 2 servers (Both Centos 5.4) - every
> weekend my raid1 set is rebuild, because
>
> mismatch_cnt is never 0 at the weekend. What is really going on ? My 1TB disk whith raid1 are rebuild every weekend.

They aren't being rebuilt, they are being checked if the data on the RAID disks are consistent. There are various reasons why mismatch_cnt can be higher than 0, for example aborted writes. Generally it's not really something to be worried about if you have for example a swap partition in your RAID array. If you do a repair and then a check the mismatch_cnt should reset to 0.

> Has anybody make bugzilla this ?

I don't think so, this is a feature, not a bug... And as long as it's shipped with upstream it'll be shipped with CentOS.

Best regards,

Glenn