Old 11-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Rudi Ahlers

Default NetworkManager constantly overwriting /etc/resolve.conf - how to disable?

Hi all,

I have a CentOS 5.4 server-only installation, i.e. no X installed, and
for some odd reason /etc/resolve.conf gets overwritten by
NetworkManager on a constant basis. I haven't been able to track down
how often, but I think it's on the hour, or something.

This is the conents of the file right now:

# Generated by NetworkManager

# No nameservers found; try putting DNS servers into your
# ifcfg files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts like so:
#
# DNS1=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
# DNS2=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
# DOMAIN=lab.foo.com bar.foo.com

So, I change it to the following:

nameserver 192.168.1.254, save it, and all network functions work
fine. But, later on it get's changed again. Running
"system-config-network", I can see that the nameserver that I have
specified is in there, yet it doesn't show up in /etc/resolve.conf.

I have searched a bit on google, but all the results reveal how to use
NetworkManager to setup the nameservers, but now how it get's set
automatically. Why does this happen, and how do I stop it from
happening?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 11-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Rob Kampen

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

[...]

Rudi,
As I recall there was a thread about this a few weeks ago.
Please show your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX contents.
Thanks

Old 11-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Tosh

On 29/11/09 22:43, Rob Kampen wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a CentOS 5.4 server-only installation, i.e. no X installed, and
>> for some odd reason /etc/resolve.conf gets overwritten by
>> NetworkManager on a constant basis. I haven't been able to track down
>> how often, but I think it's on the hour, or something.
> As I recall there was a thread about this a few weeks ago.
> Please show your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX contents.

Add to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX
The following 2 lines :
PEERDNS=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no

Line 1 tells the the if commands not to override /etc/resolv.conf
Line 2 tells NetworkManager that it doens't have control over that
ethernet controller

--
Toshaan <toshlinux@gmail.com> - http://www.toshaan.be