Old 11-29-2009, 01:41 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default Bnid Dynamic Update not returnnig latest update

I have a zone that has several hosts update their ip with Dynamic DNS updates.
This morning a client had updated its ip, but bind wasn't returning the new ip
when queried until I restarted the daemon?

Google hasn't yielded anything useful as I am prolly missing the boat with my
search criteria. Anyone got any clues/pointers about this issue?

Thanks,
jlc

Old 11-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Jim Perrin

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<JCasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
> I have a zone that has several hosts update their ip with Dynamic DNS updates.
> This morning a client had updated its ip, but bind wasn't returning the new ip
> when queried until I restarted the daemon?
>
> Google hasn't yielded anything useful as I am prolly missing the boat with my
> search criteria. Anyone got any clues/pointers about this issue?

Do you see anything in the logs about a failed update? Do the
permissions on the bind zone directory allow named to write the update
to file?

George Orwell

Old 11-30-2009, 11:29 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Do you see anything in the logs about a failed update? Do the
>permissions on the bind zone directory allow named to write the update
>to file?

Perms are ok, it writes it out eventually (as it supposed to) and when the
daemon is stopped.

The logs show:

client xx.xx.xx.xx#53401: view external: updating zone 'example.net/IN': update unsuccessful: host.example.net/A: 'rrset does not exist' prerequisite not satisfied (YXRRSET)
client xx.xx.xx.xx#46869: view external: updating zone 'example.net/IN': update unsuccessful: host.example.net/TXT: 'RRset exists (value dependent)' prerequisite not satisfied (NXRRSET)

But at the time when it was being set up, it worked and it was decided this was not to worry about as a result.

The code used to update is as follows:

nsupdate -k $KEYFILE -v > $LOG 2>&1 << EOF
server $SERVER
zone $ZONE
update delete $HOSTNAME A
update add $HOSTNAME $TTL A $new_ip_address
send
EOF

The relevant bind conf is:

update-policy {
grant host.example.net. name host.example.net. A TXT;
};

Which I presume could lose the "TXT" ?

Thanks!
jlc

Old 11-30-2009, 11:34 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>The logs show:
>
>client xx.xx.xx.xx#53401: view external: updating zone 'example.net/IN': update unsuccessful: host.example.net/A: 'rrset does not exist' prerequisite not satisfied (YXRRSET)
>client >xx.xx.xx.xx#46869: view external: updating zone 'example.net/IN': update unsuccessful: host.example.net/TXT: 'RRset exists (value dependent)' prerequisite not satisfied (NXRRSET)

That also only appeared once since it was setup...

jlc