-   -   Installing CentOS 5.4 64bit on server with LSI SAS 1068E controller. (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/287219-installing-centos-5-4-64bit-server-lsi-sas-1068e-controller.html)

Ross Walker 11-27-2009 11:35 PM

On Nov 27, 2009, at 6:19 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

> Steve Thompson wrote:
>> I have a bunch of machines with the LSI 1068E chip, and they _do_
>> work
>> fine with the default drivers, for both 5.3 and 5.4
>

> I'm curious... that chip [1] claims RAID 0/1/10/10e support and
> implies its hardware raid. Is the integrated RAID support in fact
> true raid, such that they present a single SCSI unit per logical
> volume,
> or is it some form of fake raid which requires driver intervention to
> make it play? If it is hardware raid, does the chip/hardware
> transparently handle rebuilds? hot sparing? or does it rely on
> BIOS
> and drivers to implement these features?

Most LSI cards are true RAID.

> I'd certainly be concerned about the lack of raid cache memory with a
> battery back option, and would tend to want to use them as JBOD and
> use
> the operating system native mdraid instead ...

If there is no write-back cache then there is no problem and RAID10 is
the best when there is no write-back cache.

It may be that the array wasn't defined properly or was offlined.

-Rosa

Kai Schaetzl 11-28-2009 12:31 PM

Billy Huddleston wrote on Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:35:43 -0500:

> I'm trying to install CentOS 5.4 on a machine with a LSI SAS 1068E
> controller.

It should work out of the box. I have several Dell and HP machines that
have cards based on this LSI chip and they worked straight out of the box.
You configure the RAID in the BIOS and CentOS then just sees one disk.
Using only RAID 1, though.
If that doesn't work for you, you should definitely talk to the vendor.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Larry Brigman 11-29-2009 06:46 AM

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Billy Huddleston <billy@ivdc.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to install CentOS 5.4 on a machine with a LSI SAS 1068E
> controller. *I've googled all over the place and found a few different
> drivers for RHEL5 for it.. and tried a few of them.. Some will load,
> some complain that this isn't the correct version.. non of them work
> when it comes to showing Hard Drivers in the partition manager. The
> machine is a Supermicro SYS-6015V-M3 server. Any help would be appreciated.

run lspci on the system from the rescue mode of the installer disk.
It will probably say something
like Megaraid.

We have a newer motherbaord from Super Micro and we had the same problem.
The motherboard data info says LSI 1068E but depending on the jumper
setting of the board it could be
1078E instead and that is not supported by Linux until a much later
kernel (2.6.32).

Jumper for IT mode and get the IT firmware and things will work correctly.

Billy Huddleston 11-30-2009 06:10 PM

Installing CentOS 5.4 64bit on server with LSI SAS 1068E controller.

It's listed as a MegaRAID controller. I've tried the following drivers
suggested by Supermicro with no success.

megasr-13.10.0708.2009-1-rhel50-ga-all.img

megasr-13.10.0708.2009-1-rhel50-u1-all.img

megasr-13.10.0708.2009-1-rhel50-u2-all.img

megasr-13.10.0708.2009-1-rhel50-u3-all.img

>From what I can tell from reading, it is a software RAID and putting it
in IT mode makes it work as a JBOD.* I'm not understanding how to do
RAID 10 with it in IT mode.

Thanks, Billy

Rob Kampen 11-30-2009 06:13 PM

Billy Huddleston wrote:
It's listed as a MegaRAID controller. I've tried the following drivers
suggested by Supermicro with no success.

megasr-13.10.0708.2009-1-rhel50-ga-all.img
megasr-13.10.0708.2009-1-rhel50-u1-all.img
megasr-13.10.0708.2009-1-rhel50-u2-all.img
megasr-13.10.0708.2009-1-rhel50-u3-all.img

>From what I can tell from reading, it is a software RAID and putting
it in IT mode makes it work as a JBOD. I'm not understanding how to
do RAID 10 with it in IT mode.
If it is JBOD then correct me if I'm wrong but it is "just a bunch of
disks" and needs software raid

Thanks, Billy