Old 11-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Tait Clarridge

Default Installing CentOS 5.4 64bit on server with LSI SAS 1068E controller.

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 17:35 -0500, Billy Huddleston wrote:
> I'm trying to install CentOS 5.4 on a machine with a LSI SAS 1068E
> controller. I've googled all over the place and found a few different
> drivers for RHEL5 for it.. and tried a few of them.. Some will load,
> some complain that this isn't the correct version.. non of them work
> when it comes to showing Hard Drivers in the partition manager. The
> machine is a Supermicro SYS-6015V-M3 server. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Billy

Have you setup any RAID volumes the controller BIOS/utility?

Old 11-27-2009, 10:02 PM
John R Pierce

Billy Huddleston wrote:
> I'm trying to install CentOS 5.4 on a machine with a LSI SAS 1068E
> controller. I've googled all over the place and found a few different
> drivers for RHEL5 for it.. and tried a few of them.. Some will load,
> some complain that this isn't the correct version.. non of them work
> when it comes to showing Hard Drivers in the partition manager. The
> machine is a Supermicro SYS-6015V-M3 server. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not familiar with that exact LSI chip, but most every LSI Logic
Fusion-MPT controller I've seen yet has worked just fine with the
default RHEL drivers.

have you configured the drives in the BIOS of the SAS ?I believe you
have to set them to be JBOD for everything to be happy, the raid modes
on those LSI chips is generaly fake-raid with some hardware assist.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Steve Thompson

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, John R Pierce wrote:

> I'm not familiar with that exact LSI chip, but most every LSI Logic
> Fusion-MPT controller I've seen yet has worked just fine with the
> default RHEL drivers.

I have a bunch of machines with the LSI 1068E chip, and they _do_ work
fine with the default drivers, for both 5.3 and 5.4.

Steve

Old 11-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Billy Huddleston

Title: Billy Huddleston Inner Vision

Yes, their is a RAID 10 volume setup in the controller BIOS.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Billy Huddleston

Great, which driver did you use and where can I get it... and was this
for a 32bit or 64bit CentOS install?

Thanks, Billy

Old 11-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Tait Clarridge

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 18:11 -0500, Billy Huddleston wrote:
> Yes, their is a RAID 10 volume setup in the controller BIOS.

A previous response suggested using JBOD mode. But maybe someone has
installed CentOS with the 1068E controller using a RAID mode.

If I understand the problem correctly, the CentOS installer is unable to
see your RAID volume?

Old 11-27-2009, 10:19 PM
John R Pierce

Steve Thompson wrote:
> I have a bunch of machines with the LSI 1068E chip, and they _do_ work
> fine with the default drivers, for both 5.3 and 5.4

I'm curious... that chip [1] claims RAID 0/1/10/10e support and
implies its hardware raid. Is the integrated RAID support in fact
true raid, such that they present a single SCSI unit per logical volume,
or is it some form of fake raid which requires driver intervention to
make it play? If it is hardware raid, does the chip/hardware
transparently handle rebuilds? hot sparing? or does it rely on BIOS
and drivers to implement these features?

I'd certainly be concerned about the lack of raid cache memory with a
battery back option, and would tend to want to use them as JBOD and use
the operating system native mdraid instead ...

[1]
http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/standard_product_ics/sas_ics/lsisas1068e/index.html

Old 11-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Steve Thompson

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Billy Huddleston wrote:

> Great, which driver did you use and where can I get it... and was this for a
> 32bit or 64bit CentOS install?

It was 64-bit; I just used the regular CentOS installation CD's; no
special drivers at all.

Steve

Old 11-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Tait Clarridge

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 18:57 -0500, Steve Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Billy Huddleston wrote:
>
> > Great, which driver did you use and where can I get it... and was this for a
> > 32bit or 64bit CentOS install?
>
> It was 64-bit; I just used the regular CentOS installation CD's; no
> special drivers at all.
>
> Steve

Steve, did you configure RAID in the BIOS or use JBOD and create a SW
raid in CentOS? I noticed from a previous post that you said it was
working, the info may help Billy.