-   -   Autofs cannot bind LDAP server (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/287049-autofs-cannot-bind-ldap-server.html)

"Eric B." 11-27-2009 04:30 PM

Autofs cannot bind LDAP server

Hi,

I'm using Autofs and LDAP for mounting my home directories via nfs. In
general, everything seems to work fine. However, I have one small problem.
If I reboot my server using autofs while my LDAP server is down, I get the
following error message in my logs:

automount[3358]: bind_ldap_anonymous: lookup(ldap): Unable to bind to the
LDAP server: (default), error Can't contact LDAP server

which is understandable, since my ldap server is temporarily down.

My problem, however, is that once my ldap server is back up, autofs never
seems to retry to connect to it, so all my /home mounts fail. Basically, it
means I have to make sure that my LDAP server is never down while another
server is rebooting.

I figure there must be something in the configuration file that would allow
me to tweak this to indicate to autofs to recheck the ldap server
periodically to see if it has come back up, but can't seem to find anything.

My /etc/sysconfic/autofs file is pretty plain:
# TIMEOUT - set the default mount timeout (default 600).
#
TIMEOUT=300

# LOGGING - set default log level "none", "verbose" or "debug"
#
LOGGING="verbose"

# Other common LDAP nameing
#
MAP_OBJECT_CLASS="automountMap"
ENTRY_OBJECT_CLASS="automount"
MAP_ATTRIBUTE="ou"
ENTRY_ATTRIBUTE="cn"
VALUE_ATTRIBUTE="automountInformation"

Is there anything I can do to force autofs to check to see if my LDAP server
is back online?

Thanks,

Eric

Alan McKay 12-01-2009 10:26 PM

Autofs cannot bind LDAP server

> I'm using Autofs and LDAP for mounting my home directories via nfs. *In
> general, everything seems to work fine. *However, I have one small problem.
> If I reboot my server using autofs while my LDAP server is down, I get the
> following error message in my logs:

I can't help you - but can you help me by pointing me to the docs you
used to get this far?

thanks,
-Alan

Kwan Lowe 12-02-2009 11:07 AM

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Eric B. <ebenze@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My problem, however, is that once my ldap server is back up, autofs never
> seems to retry to connect to it, so all my /home mounts fail. *Basically, it
> means I have to make sure that my LDAP server is never down while another
> server is rebooting.
>
> I figure there must be something in the configuration file that would allow
> me to tweak this to indicate to autofs to recheck the ldap server
> periodically to see if it has come back up, but can't seem to find anything.

Once the server is back up, does restarting the autofs daemon fix the
behaviour?

Also, try setting the logging to debug.. Might give you a better idea
of why it's not reconnecting.

Todd Denniston 12-02-2009 02:13 PM

Kwan Lowe wrote, On 12/02/2009 07:07 AM:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Eric B. <ebenze@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My problem, however, is that once my ldap server is back up, autofs never
>> seems to retry to connect to it, so all my /home mounts fail. Basically, it
>> means I have to make sure that my LDAP server is never down while another
>> server is rebooting.
>>
>> I figure there must be something in the configuration file that would allow
>> me to tweak this to indicate to autofs to recheck the ldap server
>> periodically to see if it has come back up, but can't seem to find anything.
>
> Once the server is back up, does restarting the autofs daemon fix the
> behaviour?
>
> Also, try setting the logging to debug.. Might give you a better idea
> of why it's not reconnecting.

Perhaps the following links from an autofs list thread will point to something for Eric:
subject: "[autofs] ldap and reloading"
http://linux.kernel.org/pipermail/autofs/2009-June/005775.html
http://linux.kernel.org/pipermail/autofs/2009-June/005779.html

BTW the 'how to' debug Autofs is at:
http://people.redhat.com/jmoyer/

--
Todd Denniston

"Eric B." 12-02-2009 02:57 PM

Autofs cannot bind LDAP server

> "Kwan Lowe" <kwan.lowe@gmail.com> wrote in
> message
> news:b7e478370912020407p35def217td1bcf579d7bb83aa@ mail.gmail.com...
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Eric B.
> <ebenze@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My problem, however, is that once my ldap server is back up, autofs
> > never
> > seems to retry to connect to it, so all my /home mounts fail. Basically,
> > it
> > means I have to make sure that my LDAP server is never down while
> > another
> > server is rebooting.
> >
> > I figure there must be something in the configuration file that would
> > allow
> > me to tweak this to indicate to autofs to recheck the ldap server
> > periodically to see if it has come back up, but can't seem to find
> > anything.
>
> Once the server is back up, does restarting the autofs daemon fix the
> behaviour?

Yes. Restarting autofs daemon causes it to reconnect to the ldap server,
and all automounts work properly at that point.

> Also, try setting the logging to debug.. Might give you a better idea
> of why it's not reconnecting.

I tried, but I got not additional useful information out of the automounter.
Basically, it says that it failed to connect to ldap server, and never
retries. But nothing particularly more useful (to me at least) there.

Any ideas of lists or groups that I can try otherwise? I've tried posting
to the kernel.autofs mailing list, but for some reason my posts never make
it on. I even tried mailing the list admins but got no response back from
them either.

Thanks,

Eric

"Eric B." 12-02-2009 03:01 PM

Autofs cannot bind LDAP server

"Todd Denniston"
<Todd.Denniston@tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil> wrote in
message news:4B168426.9030805@tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil...
> Kwan Lowe wrote, On 12/02/2009 07:07 AM:
>> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Eric B.
>> <ebenze@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My problem, however, is that once my ldap server is back up, autofs
>>> never
>>> seems to retry to connect to it, so all my /home mounts fail.
>>> Basically, it
>>> means I have to make sure that my LDAP server is never down while
>>> another
>>> server is rebooting.
>>>
>>> I figure there must be something in the configuration file that would
>>> allow
>>> me to tweak this to indicate to autofs to recheck the ldap server
>>> periodically to see if it has come back up, but can't seem to find
>>> anything.
>>
>> Once the server is back up, does restarting the autofs daemon fix the
>> behaviour?
>>
>> Also, try setting the logging to debug.. Might give you a better idea
>> of why it's not reconnecting.
>
> Perhaps the following links from an autofs list thread will point to
> something for Eric:
> subject: "[autofs] ldap and reloading"
> http://linux.kernel.org/pipermail/autofs/2009-June/005775.html
> http://linux.kernel.org/pipermail/autofs/2009-June/005779.html
>
> BTW the 'how to' debug Autofs is at:
> http://people.redhat.com/jmoyer/

Thanks for the links. Not exactly what I need, but maybe an alley to help
me down the path. In the meantime, if anyone else has any suggestions what
I can do, would love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Eric

"Eric B." 12-02-2009 03:03 PM

Autofs cannot bind LDAP server

> "Alan McKay" <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote in
> message news:844129e80912011526o16aa6aen206a1cf7676a5b0e@m ail.gmail.com...
> > I'm using Autofs and LDAP for mounting my home directories via nfs. In
> > general, everything seems to work fine. However, I have one small
> > problem.
> > If I reboot my server using autofs while my LDAP server is down, I get
> > the
> > following error message in my logs:
>
> I can't help you - but can you help me by pointing me to the docs you
> used to get this far?

Holy cow. It wasn't easy... I had to do a lot of digging around to find the
necessary stuff, and unfortunately, don't have all the links any more. I
did a lot of searching online using LDAP and autofs as query strings. Some
of the links I found were the following that helped me understand. Mind
you, none were "howto" recepies as such.

http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/rhel5/rhel5_administration/rhel5_s1-nfs-client-config-autofs.html

In a nutshell (if memory serves properly), you needed to do the following
(this is all assuming you already have a functional LDAP server up and
running and properly configured in your nsswitch.conf files and your
ldap.conf files, etc).

1) Add the autofs schema to your ldap server (add the following line to the
slapd.conf file: include
/etc/openldap/schema/redhat/autofs.schema). I don't remember if I already
had the autofs.schema file or not, or if I had to search for it.

2) Modify your /etc/sysconfig/autofs to uncomment:
#
MAP_OBJECT_CLASS="automountMap"
ENTRY_OBJECT_CLASS="automount"
MAP_ATTRIBUTE="ou"
ENTRY_ATTRIBUTE="cn"
VALUE_ATTRIBUTE="automountInformation"

3) Create an ldif file and import into your LDAP server to show the
following. Note, that my NFS server has the home directories located at
/var/nfs/home/<user name>. Your mapping may be different.

dn: ou=auto.home,dc=domain,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: automountMap
ou: auto.home

dn: cn=/,ou=auto.home,dc=domain,dc=com
objectClass: automount
cn: /
automountInformation: -rsize=8192,wsize=8192,intr
nfs_server.domain.com:/var/nfs/home/&

dn: ou=auto.master,dc=domain,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: automountMap
ou: auto.master

dn: cn=/home,ou=auto.master,dc=domain,dc=com
objectClass: automount
cn: /home
automountInformation:
ldap:ldap_server.domain.com:ou=auto.home,dc=domain ,dc=com

4) Cross your fingers and restart your ldap server and your autofs daemon
and hope it works. I got this working on CentOS 5.3.

Hope this helps. I remember having to do a lot of digging around, a lot of
searching and a lot of trial and error to get it working. But hopefully the
above points should at least set you off in the correct path. Keep in mind
I am by far no expert - I just poked around until I got it working, and once
I did, stepped away from it.

Good luck.

Eric

Benjamin Donnachie 12-02-2009 03:35 PM

2009/12/2 Eric B. <ebenze@hotmail.com>:
>*In the meantime, if anyone else has any suggestions what
> I can do, would love to hear about it.

Do you just have the one LDAP server? I would probably set up a slave
and add it to your client's ldap configuration.

Ben

"Eric B." 12-02-2009 05:29 PM

Autofs cannot bind LDAP server

"Benjamin Donnachie" <benjamin@py-soft.co.uk>
wrote in message
news:732076a80912020835u4cc87abwb3633c40320e8caf@m ail.gmail.com...
2009/12/2 Eric B. <ebenze@hotmail.com>:
> > In the meantime, if anyone else has any suggestions what
> > can do, would love to hear about it.

> Do you just have the one LDAP server? I would probably set up a slave
> and add it to your client's ldap configuration.

Yes - thanks. Actually, my problem has to do with sequencing. I'm running
most of my servers as Virtual Machines, so if/when a Virtual Host reboots,
all the vms on it reboot as well. If any of the other vms happen to boot
prior to the ldap servers, I run into this problem. So I'm trying to figure
out if there is a way around this, apart from making sure never to boot both
the ldaps at the same time.

Thanks,

Eric