Old 11-27-2009, 04:01 AM
Frank Cox

Default Centos 5.4 on Acer Aspire One

I currently have my Acer Aspire One netbook set up with Fedora 11. I
would like to change it over to Centos 5.4 if I can.

I downloaded the Centos 5.4 i386 livecd image and made a bootable USB
flash drive out of it. Unfortunately, when I boot off of that flash
drive, Grub (I guess) immediately turns the screen entirely white. If I
hit a key I can faintly see the outline of "Press tab to change options"
or words to that effect. (It's very faint and hard to read against the
white background.) That bit of text rapidly scrolls off of the top of
the screen, so I assume that the rest of the boot-up messages are being
printed.

Hitting Ctrl-Alt-anyFkey does nothing for a while, then every keystroke
beeps. I can't get to a text terminal and I never see anything other
than a completely white screen.

Am I doing something wrong? Fedora 11 works fine on this machine, and I
installed that from a livecd.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:16 AM
MHR

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:
> I currently have my Acer Aspire One netbook set up with Fedora 11. *I
> would like to change it over to Centos 5.4 if I can.
>
> I downloaded the Centos 5.4 i386 livecd image and made a bootable USB
> flash drive out of it. *Unfortunately, when I boot off of that flash
> drive, Grub (I guess) immediately turns the screen entirely white. *If I
> hit a key I can faintly see the outline of "Press tab to change options"
> or words to that effect. *(It's very faint and hard to read against the
> white background.) *That bit of text rapidly scrolls off of the top of
> the screen, so I assume that the rest of the boot-up messages are being
> printed.
>
> Hitting Ctrl-Alt-anyFkey does nothing for a while, then every keystroke
> beeps. *I can't get to a text terminal and I never see anything other
> than a completely white screen.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? *Fedora 11 works fine on this machine, and I
> installed that from a livecd.

I'm not an expert on this, but IIRC, the CentOS live CD is not for
installation at all, just for running CentOS live on a machine to see
if it will work with said machine as if it were actually installed
with the stock release drivers. To install, you should use the CentOS
installation CD set or DVD.

Also, IIRC, Fedora 11 is at least 3 (or 5) generations of Fedora ahead
of the base Red Hat for CentOS 5. Fedora 10 is supposed to be the
base system for RH 6.

What you might try is backing up everything on your hard drive,
install CentOS (reformatting the drive and all), and then locating any
drivers you need that might be missing. This works better for older
laptops since the CentOS (Red Hat) 5 drivers are not necessarily the
L&G you might need for a new machine, like a netbook.

Personally, I would not bother putting an OS on a netbook that didn't
come with it, but I also would not get a netbook at all - they are
simply too small for me (vision issues, I like bigger screens, need
larger fonts, etc.).

I bought an Everex refurb laptop on ebay recently, for mucho cheap,
that, although it is not the hottest, fastest bugger around, has a
15.6" widescreen that is crystal clear, CentOS runs it just as well as
the Ubuntu that came on it, and the only problem I have with it now is
that the mike and phones plugs don't work., and those are under
warranty....

Just my $0.02 or $0.03....

mhr

Old 11-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Craig White

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 23:01 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> I currently have my Acer Aspire One netbook set up with Fedora 11. I
> would like to change it over to Centos 5.4 if I can.
>
> I downloaded the Centos 5.4 i386 livecd image and made a bootable USB
> flash drive out of it. Unfortunately, when I boot off of that flash
> drive, Grub (I guess) immediately turns the screen entirely white. If I
> hit a key I can faintly see the outline of "Press tab to change options"
> or words to that effect. (It's very faint and hard to read against the
> white background.) That bit of text rapidly scrolls off of the top of
> the screen, so I assume that the rest of the boot-up messages are being
> printed.
>
> Hitting Ctrl-Alt-anyFkey does nothing for a while, then every keystroke
> beeps. I can't get to a text terminal and I never see anything other
> than a completely white screen.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Fedora 11 works fine on this machine, and I
> installed that from a livecd.
----
did you create that USB disk using Fedora or CentOS?

does this relate?
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Beta_release_notes#Live_Image_issues

Your description of the problem reminded me exactly of the problem I had
when I tried to do the same thing to install F11 Beta

I can't think of any reason I would put CentOS on my Aspire One...I've
got it working well with F12 now

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Frank Cox

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 03:51 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> did you create that USB disk using Fedora or CentOS?

I created it using Centos 5.4.

> does this relate?
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Beta_release_notes#Live_Image_issues

The screenshot looks exactly like what I see. Which is interesting
considering that neither the image or the system it was created on has
anything to do with Fedora 11.

> I can't think of any reason I would put CentOS on my Aspire One...I've
> got it working well with F12 now

I seem to have a choice between reinstalling Fedora on it (because I
can't get it to update to Fedora 12) or installing Centos on it. Since
they both involve a scratch install, I might as well install Centos on
it so it will match my desktop machine.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Tait Clarridge

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 09:41 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 03:51 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>
> > did you create that USB disk using Fedora or CentOS?
>
> I created it using Centos 5.4.
> >
> > does this relate?
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Beta_release_notes#Live_Image_issues
>
> The screenshot looks exactly like what I see. Which is interesting
> considering that neither the image or the system it was created on has
> anything to do with Fedora 11.
>
> > I can't think of any reason I would put CentOS on my Aspire One...I've
> > got it working well with F12 now
>
> I seem to have a choice between reinstalling Fedora on it (because I
> can't get it to update to Fedora 12) or installing Centos on it. Since
> they both involve a scratch install, I might as well install Centos on
> it so it will match my desktop machine.

I know this is a CentOS list, but personally I would go for Fedora 12.
They have done some optimizations for netbooks and you will have get a
lot more functionality due to the drivers included with Fedora 12 vs
CentOS 5 (based on Fedora Core 6).

If you want wireless, Fedora is probably the easiest of the two. Any
specific reasons why you want CentOS on a netbook? More specifically why
you want enterprise Linux on your netbook?

Old 11-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Frank Cox

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 10:54 -0500, Tait Clarridge wrote:
> If you want wireless, Fedora is probably the easiest of the two.

It's my understanding that Centos now includes support for the wireless
networking in the Acer Aspire One.

> Any
> specific reasons why you want CentOS on a netbook? More specifically
> why
> you want enterprise Linux on your netbook?

It's my last computer with Fedora on it. Everything else now runs
Centos. So I figure that it it will work with Centos (which it
apparently will) then I would like to have it match the rest of my
stuff.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Eero Volotinen

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 10:54 -0500, Tait Clarridge wrote:
>> If you want wireless, Fedora is probably the easiest of the two.
>
> It's my understanding that Centos now includes support for the wireless
> networking in the Acer Aspire One.
>
>> Any
>> specific reasons why you want CentOS on a netbook? More specifically
>> why
>> you want enterprise Linux on your netbook?
>
> It's my last computer with Fedora on it. Everything else now runs
> Centos. So I figure that it it will work with Centos (which it
> apparently will) then I would like to have it match the rest of my
> stuff.

This is a bit offtopic, but latest UBuntu netbook remix runs nicely on
Acer Aspire One.

--
Eero

Old 11-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Agile Aspect

I borrowed a USB DVD to do the install of CentOS 5.3 on the Acer One.
Unfortunately I don't know anything about livecd images.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:
> I currently have my Acer Aspire One netbook set up with Fedora 11. *I
> would like to change it over to Centos 5.4 if I can.
>
> I downloaded the Centos 5.4 i386 livecd image and made a bootable USB
> flash drive out of it. *Unfortunately, when I boot off of that flash
> drive, Grub (I guess) immediately turns the screen entirely white. *If I
> hit a key I can faintly see the outline of "Press tab to change options"
> or words to that effect. *(It's very faint and hard to read against the
> white background.) *That bit of text rapidly scrolls off of the top of
> the screen, so I assume that the rest of the boot-up messages are being
> printed.
>
> Hitting Ctrl-Alt-anyFkey does nothing for a while, then every keystroke
> beeps. *I can't get to a text terminal and I never see anything other
> than a completely white screen.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? *Fedora 11 works fine on this machine, and I
> installed that from a livecd.

Enjoy global warming while it lasts.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Tait Clarridge

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 10:07 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 10:54 -0500, Tait Clarridge wrote:
> > If you want wireless, Fedora is probably the easiest of the two.
>
> It's my understanding that Centos now includes support for the wireless
> networking in the Acer Aspire One.
>
> > Any
> > specific reasons why you want CentOS on a netbook? More specifically
> > why
> > you want enterprise Linux on your netbook?
>
> It's my last computer with Fedora on it. Everything else now runs
> Centos. So I figure that it it will work with Centos (which it
> apparently will) then I would like to have it match the rest of my
> stuff.

Alright. I can understand continuity. I personally keep CentOS for
servers and Fedora for desktops and laptops.

How did you create the Live USB?

You may want to try using either a DVD install image or NetInstall image
after backing up your netbooks drive.

I use uNetbootin to create USB images of DVDs & CDs for use in my
EEEEEEEEEpc.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Frank Cox

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 14:49 -0500, Tait Clarridge wrote:

> How did you create the Live USB?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

I went through the "How to partition" and "How to format" sections,then
the "Command Line Method - Linux only" subsection titled
"Run livecd-iso-to-disk script".

> You may want to try using either a DVD install image or NetInstall
> image
> after backing up your netbooks drive.

My Acer Aspire One has an internal hard drive and that's it.

When I installed Fedora on it, I put a Fedora livecd on a usb flashdrive
(the same one I'm trying to use for this job, in fact) and it just
worked.

If I could get a netinstall or something going on this, that would suit
me too. But again, I have no external drives for it.