Old 11-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Alan McKay

Default SAMBA vs NFS

Hey folks,

A coworker wants to share drives between CentOS systems via SAMBA,
which sort of seems pretty counter intuitive to me. But he says he's
had troubles in the past with NFS. He was sort of short on details,
but something about NFS not being reliable unless you enable NFS
locking, but when you do that, you can end up in situations where if
the server crashes it can cause the clients to hang too.

I've used NFS for years in other jobs and don't recall issues like this.

Thoughts?

thanks,
-Alan

Old 11-26-2009, 03:53 PM
mark

Alan McKay wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> A coworker wants to share drives between CentOS systems via SAMBA,
> which sort of seems pretty counter intuitive to me. But he says he's
> had troubles in the past with NFS. He was sort of short on details,
> but something about NFS not being reliable unless you enable NFS
> locking, but when you do that, you can end up in situations where if
> the server crashes it can cause the clients to hang too.
>
> I've used NFS for years in other jobs and don't recall issues like this.
>
> Thoughts?

The usual: what were the *exact* errors? I've never seen problems, either.

mark
--
"Morality is alright, but what about dividends?"
-- Kaiser Willhem II