FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-04-2008, 01:19 PM
"Matt Shields"
 
Default What's up with the mailing list spam?

Just this morning I've gotten 3 or 4 pieces of spam on the CentOS mailing list.

--
-matt
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Ralph Angenendt
 
Default What's up with the mailing list spam?

Matt Shields wrote:
> Just this morning I've gotten 3 or 4 pieces of spam on the CentOS mailing list.

Tell us how we should reject that in advance and we will. Yes, the
"user" was subscribed.

Ralph
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Ray Van Dolson
 
Default What's up with the mailing list spam?

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 03:22:35PM +0100, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Matt Shields wrote:
> > Just this morning I've gotten 3 or 4 pieces of spam on the CentOS mailing list.
>
> Tell us how we should reject that in advance and we will. Yes, the
> "user" was subscribed.
>

Clearly you should assign an infinite number of monkeys to the problem!

Is kinda weird though; I've also seen posts from what I assume to be
the same spam source (and around the exact same time) on the
dell linux-poweredge list.

They'll unsubscribe the offenders and the problem will go away. This
thing pops up from time to time.

Ray
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Johnny Hughes
 
Default What's up with the mailing list spam?

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 03:22:35PM +0100, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> Matt Shields wrote:
>>> Just this morning I've gotten 3 or 4 pieces of spam on the CentOS mailing list.
>> Tell us how we should reject that in advance and we will. Yes, the
>> "user" was subscribed.
>>
>
> Clearly you should assign an infinite number of monkeys to the problem!
>
> Is kinda weird though; I've also seen posts from what I assume to be
> the same spam source (and around the exact same time) on the
> dell linux-poweredge list.
>
> They'll unsubscribe the offenders and the problem will go away. This
> thing pops up from time to time.
>

This is happening in other places too, with this specific user/mail.

We are putting things in place to block / mod these users, but we
already have a positive email required and e-mail activation based on a
link to the address.

We also have rbl list blocking on the server ... and spam scoring.

There is not much else we can do except block the offenders when they
happen.

OR moderate all posts ... who wants to volunteer to read and release all
posts :-D

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-04-2008, 03:32 PM
MatsK
 
Default What's up with the mailing list spam?

Johnny Hughes wrote:

Ray Van Dolson wrote:

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 03:22:35PM +0100, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Matt Shields wrote:

Just this morning I've gotten 3 or 4 pieces of spam on the CentOS mailing list.

Tell us how we should reject that in advance and we will. Yes, the
"user" was subscribed.


Clearly you should assign an infinite number of monkeys to the problem!

Is kinda weird though; I've also seen posts from what I assume to be
the same spam source (and around the exact same time) on the
dell linux-poweredge list.

They'll unsubscribe the offenders and the problem will go away. This
thing pops up from time to time.



This is happening in other places too, with this specific user/mail.

We are putting things in place to block / mod these users, but we
already have a positive email required and e-mail activation based on a
link to the address.

We also have rbl list blocking on the server ... and spam scoring.

There is not much else we can do except block the offenders when they
happen.

OR moderate all posts ... who wants to volunteer to read and release all
posts :-D

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes


Maybee this is why its more common to see weird pictures with text in
them so its harder to script is ?


/Mats
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Ray Van Dolson
 
Default What's up with the mailing list spam?

> Maybee this is why its more common to see weird pictures with text in them
> so its harder to script is ?
>
> /Mats

That wouldn't help much in this case. Unless the subscription was
being automated I guess.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-04-2008, 04:01 PM
"Robert - elists"
 
Default What's up with the mailing list spam?

>
> OR moderate all posts ... who wants to volunteer to read and release all
> posts :-D
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

I thought I saw Perrin and Wieers raise their keyboards!!!

Errrr ahem, I meant hands...

:-)

( like they both do not have enough to do already ;-> )

- rh

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-04-2008, 05:18 PM
John Hinton
 
Default What's up with the mailing list spam?

Ray Van Dolson wrote:

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 03:22:35PM +0100, Ralph Angenendt wrote:


Matt Shields wrote:


Just this morning I've gotten 3 or 4 pieces of spam on the CentOS mailing list.


Tell us how we should reject that in advance and we will. Yes, the
"user" was subscribed.




Clearly you should assign an infinite number of monkeys to the problem!

How about a person named Ray instead? Or maybe Matt? This would be
infinitely more easy than feeding those monkeys.

Is kinda weird though; I've also seen posts from what I assume to be
the same spam source (and around the exact same time) on the
dell linux-poweredge list.

I guess the big advantage to them on list is the archive now contains
their post and if there was a URL, a link from the CentOS archive,
pretty well positioned by Google and the likes, now points to their site
possibly moving them up on the search engines. It's actually a pretty
good tactic.


Is nothing safe?

John Hinton

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Ralph Angenendt
 
Default What's up with the mailing list spam?

John Hinton wrote:
> I guess the big advantage to them on list is the archive now contains their
> post and if there was a URL, a link from the CentOS archive, pretty well
> positioned by Google and the likes, now points to their site possibly
> moving them up on the search engines. It's actually a pretty good tactic.

The problem is that there was no advertisement inside the messages. It
could be for enumerating hosts in a bot net later on.

> Is nothing safe?

Safe from spammers? No. There's good and easy money to be made (think
about it, most work goes on at the recipient side).

Ralph
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 01-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Bill Campbell
 
Default What's up with the mailing list spam?

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>Matt Shields wrote:
>> Just this morning I've gotten 3 or 4 pieces of spam on the CentOS mailing list.
>
>Tell us how we should reject that in advance and we will. Yes, the
>"user" was subscribed.

We have Mailman configured to check with spamassassin, sending messages
with sufficiently high scores to the moderator(s) for approval and
automatically discarding anything with a score > 20. Thus anything with
scores between our required_score of 5 and 20 is held for moderation.

While this isn't perfect, fewer than 1 spam per month has made it through
to any of the lists we host in the last year (at least one of which I
approved accidentally :-).

The only moderated list we host is one for monthly announcements where only
the list owner is allowed to post. All the others are members-only.

Bill
--
INTERNET: bill@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
URL: http://www.celestial.com/ PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676

More laws, less justice. -- Marcus Tulius Ciceroca (42 BD)
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:54 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org