Old 11-25-2009, 11:19 PM
"Hugh E Cruickshank"

Default rndc start fails with "rndc: connect failed:connectionrefused"

From: John R. Dennison Sent: November 25, 2009 15:57
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 03:36:09PM -0800, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> >
> > That would explain a lot but it would have been more useful if the
> > rndc command had returned an error saying something like "start
> > command unknown" rather than accepting the command and indicating
> > a communication problem.
>
> It's operating per design and it's operating properly; rndc
> is nothing more than an interface to allow admins to provide
> commands to the running named instance and if named isn't
> running there is nothing that rndc is able to do from that
> point forward so it indicates to the user that it can't
> communicate - seems logical to me.

I can see that point of view but that sure does not help the poor guy
or gal trying to figure out a problem like I had. I have been chasing
this one off and on for weeks (if not months).

hec

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com

Old 11-25-2009, 11:31 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 04:19:48PM -0800, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:

> I can see that point of view but that sure does not help the poor guy
> or gal trying to figure out a problem like I had. I have been chasing
> this one off and on for weeks (if not months).

Hmm, perhaps... But a quick perusal of "man rndc" would
have shown that there is no "start" command and the phrasing
"communicates with the nameserver over a TCP connection. would
have been a clue that the nameserver needed to be running

John

--
<sxem> trying to play sturgeon while it's under attack is apparently not fun.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:45 PM
"Hugh E Cruickshank"

From: John R. Dennison Sent: November 25, 2009 16:31

> Hmm, perhaps... But a quick perusal of "man rndc" would
> have shown that there is no "start" command and the phrasing
> "communicates with the nameserver over a TCP connection. would
> have been a clue that the nameserver needed to be running

True but in my feeble defence I was following someone else's example
procedures (and following them blindly it would seem). I would think
that my suggested change, while not strictly required, would result
in improved usability of the software.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com